• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Before and After Pictures

Hi RP!

The crowns are all-porcelain (no metal underneath), though the canines do have implants underneath. I'm not sure how thick porcelain crowns should be? Maybe they are thicker because the dentist also pushed my arch out slightly and had to align the teeth?

They DID feel thick in my mouth when placed, but since I never had crowns before, I had nothing to compare it to. It took a couple weeks before my speech adjusted (I was lisping and whistling a bit for a while). Now, two months later, I've gotten used to them and don't really notice anymore, but they definitely are thicker than my natural incisors were.

-aintreallyme

Crowns will never be as thin as real teeth. But I think implants are a bit heavier -that explains it. My bridge over implants is really thick and I hated it too. Felt really uncomfortable against my tongue.. My implantologist said they used to think how deep the implant was mattered the most, but new thinking is width is probably more important. I don't have crowns on most of mine yet only 6 weeks out, so they look like big bolts with the healing caps......

regardless noone is going to see how "thick" they are, cause I don't think you'll be tipping your head backwards a whole lot, :giggle: and your smile is gorgeous.

rp

Thanks RP :)
It took me a little while to like them, I just couldn't process how they looked initially - I think it was emotional overload in general from all the treatments. I was alternating between thinking they looked great and thinking Oh my God what did I do? For a while I was even feeling like I wanted my little fangy lateral incisors back, which I had always hated. Now I would say I'm 90% happy, though when I go back next year I might ask the dentist to do a little touch up work to round a few of the edges that look too square for me. Kind of amazing that 6 months ago I couldn't set foot into a dentist's office, and now I'm being picky!
-aintreallyme
ps. read a bit of your journal, good luck with everything, sounds like you deserve a medal for bravery:)

Last edited:
All your before and after pictures are amazing such beautiful smiles now!! it gives me a glimmer of hope of whats coming my way.
Sandy

Lookin' good RP!

I just love seeing all the before and after pics. It makes me smile. ;D

Thanks TW. I'll post another when the bottoms are done

Thinking about posting pictures of my gaps from extractions :p but i cant seem to photo the upper ones very well.

Crowns will never be as thin as real teeth. But I think implants are a bit heavier -that explains it. My bridge over implants is really thick and I hated it too. Felt really uncomfortable against my tongue.. My implantologist said they used to think how deep the implant was mattered the most, but new thinking is width is probably more important. I don't have crowns on most of mine yet only 6 weeks out, so they look like big bolts with the healing caps......

regardless noone is going to see how "thick" they are, cause I don't think you'll be tipping your head backwards a whole lot, :giggle: and your smile is gorgeous.

rp

Crowns CAN be as thin as natural teeth.

Crowns CAN be as thin as natural teeth.

What exactly does that mean?

You must either take a lot of tooth structure away or your crowns don't last very long? I will end up with 24 crowns so my response is based on (heavy) personal experience only........and while you get used to them, they are just not the same as natural teeth. Even veneers are 1/2 to 1mm thickness.....so tooth structure is lost or bulk is added.

Yes you are right that in order to have crowns the same size as natural teeth you must remove more tooth structure but the basic concept of crown fabrication is that you make a controlled reduction that gives the lab the space it needs to build back the tooth to nomal contours. Technologylike itero actually aids dentist in reductionof teeth as does diagnostic wax-ups.

I'm done and a picture is worth a thousand words, besides I'm way too emotional to type.......2 years.

Attachments

• before pic web.jpg
    before pic web.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 314
  • teeth.jpg
    teeth.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
;D WOWX100! I normally don't care to look at "before and afters" but couldn't not check yours out. Have I mentioned how happy I am for you?! As I said in your journal thread, get out there and celebrate my friend. P.S. I think you should consider changing the title of your journal from "My Life Long Battle" to "(One of) My Life's Greatest Triumphs!"

Oh Mona- I told my dentist today in an email that this was truly the hardest thing I had ever done....but there will always be dental work......or a cleaning or an abscess. I realize that, but now it will be one thing at a time- not 28.

And that is the difference and why despite lingering ghosts of the past, where you are now is nothing short of a triumph of your awesome spirit.

RP - YOU LOOK AMAZING !!! a hugeeeeeeeeeeeee well done and lots of :XXLhug::jump::):XXLhug: sent your way, you truly are very courageous and i admire you!! Very inspiring lady with bundles of inner demons now blasted away. well done! xx

Wow Nice teeth rp I wish mine were like that.well done.

Dave.:)

Well you see how I started out Dave- you really don't want to be like me.

Wow Nice teeth rp I wish mine were like that.well done.

Dave.:)

Oh Mona- I told my dentist today in an email that this was truly the hardest thing I had ever done....but there will always be dental work......or a cleaning or an abscess. I realize that, but now it will be one thing at a time- not 28.

:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:
Wow!!! What a beautiful smile!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I cannot imagine how great you must feel and the number of people you have inspired with your courage.

Thanks DW-

Right now I'm busy thanking everyone who helped me- it's a long list not to mention this forum.....and believe it or not still texting my dentist.............closure you know.

I smile a lot - I'm learning how to, I have to remind myself its OK to part your lips....but the way it looks is really just the frosting on the cupcake- what is way more important is the physical well being- I have/had pretty nasty TMJ with a daily headache and dizziness - gone, I was missing quite a few teeth, to the point that chewing properly and nutrition was an issue- have 24 now, 12 up, 12 down.....no gaps-implants and bone replacement are a miracle, I had pretty bad periodontitis so my body was fighting infection all the time- under control, I smoked two packs a day going into this- smoke free almost 18 months, I also had quite a few abscesses including the one that just slowly ate away the floor of my nose and learned to live with dental pain everyday for many years, and the phobia- the psychological torture- well let's not even go there, but sedation dentistry is one of the most compassionate things on earth and I had dental work- lots of it and it got easier............it's awesome to smile and, quite honestly, I think I deserve that, but my health....priceless. Thank you dfc!

rp

Last edited:
Back