• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Before and After Pictures

Absolutely wonderful!! Looks awesome!!

Before and 1 day post op. I still can't believe the difference. (Swelling around the upper lip but NO pain) I am now 1 week post op.

Wow! Awesome!

What a gorgeous smile.

Steve

45andAfraid's Before and AFters!!

B e f o r e

Lwr Teeth Before.jpg

a f t e r

Photo on 26-03-13 at 5.06 PM.jpg

I'm a bit of a lurker so I'll admit this is my first post (though I've been here frequently for a while, and I stumbled upon this thread!)

I do not have a B&A picture to show,
however this thread has inspired me quite a bit!
I'm off to the dentist for the first time in five years after...well..
not brushing much in that five years either (maybe for a whole six months?? which is super gross to say!):cry: I was a silly teenager, okay, I still am kind of a teen at nearing twenty, but I guess thats no excuse huh? :dunno:
I was hurt a lot by my past dentist, he wasnt careful at all, he stabbed and made my tongue and cheeks bleed, my gums. He missed and ugh, it was just awful every single time!

I'd brush nowadays but my gums are so sore when I brush.
I hate it, it hurts so badly! So I only do it when I feel I have to.

When it comes to dentistry, I worry a lot, my anxiety kills my stomach and its just awful! Do any of you feel that way? My teeth are not black, I have a few black spots on one front tooth, and its starting to spread I think, which is why I begged my sister to call an "emergency" (just xrays and a cleaning tbh) appointment for me today, in less than four hours! I'm scared, I hate the pain and I know I have a lot of tarter build up around the gum lines. I know I only have one tooth thats damaged, but maybe I have more? My previous silver fillings are hurting quite a bit for some strange reason, I hate they're silver, I would have went with white if I had the money! Would have, should have! :(

Anyway, my worries are over in the next six hours. You guys, your smiles have made me feel a lot better, and I hope this thread continues to thrive with photos and stories; I'm eager to hear them all, as I'm sure a lot of others are too. ;D

Here's my before and after photo's. I am 45.old.jpgnew.jpg

I am 10 days post extraction of my 6 remaining lower teeth and 8 days post extraction of the 6 remaining uppers (I had partial denture on uppers for a few years too). Had full immediate dentures placed after each round of extractions.

It has been hard, dentures were/are very tight and keep needing some taken off, have mouth ulcers and now to top it off, oral thrush.

Still on almost liquid diet.

But I know it will be worth it in the long run and I am determined to make it work. Plan is to have implant retained denture on the lowers. Have had grafts in lower sites ready for the implants and also in upper to slow bone shrinkage.

It's amazing to look at my beofre photo now and realize just how bad they were :o

Hi Sweetie and Munchie :welcome::welcome::welcome: to the forum.

Thank you for your posts and telling us of your experiences. Sweetie do let us know how you got on at your appointment. :butterfly:

I'm sharing before after and during ... You can see the swelling in my pic right after I was done (entire face was numb lol)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 268
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 268
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 354
I'm a bit of a lurker so I'll admit this is my first post (though I've been here frequently for a while, and I stumbled upon this thread!)

I do not have a B&A picture to show,
however this thread has inspired me quite a bit!
I'm off to the dentist for the first time in five years after...well..
not brushing much in that five years either (maybe for a whole six months?? which is super gross to say!):cry: I was a silly teenager, okay, I still am kind of a teen at nearing twenty, but I guess thats no excuse huh? :dunno:
I was hurt a lot by my past dentist, he wasnt careful at all, he stabbed and made my tongue and cheeks bleed, my gums. He missed and ugh, it was just awful every single time!

I'd brush nowadays but my gums are so sore when I brush.
I hate it, it hurts so badly! So I only do it when I feel I have to.

When it comes to dentistry, I worry a lot, my anxiety kills my stomach and its just awful! Do any of you feel that way? My teeth are not black, I have a few black spots on one front tooth, and its starting to spread I think, which is why I begged my sister to call an "emergency" (just xrays and a cleaning tbh) appointment for me today, in less than four hours! I'm scared, I hate the pain and I know I have a lot of tarter build up around the gum lines. I know I only have one tooth thats damaged, but maybe I have more? My previous silver fillings are hurting quite a bit for some strange reason, I hate they're silver, I would have went with white if I had the money! Would have, should have! :(

Anyway, my worries are over in the next six hours. You guys, your smiles have made me feel a lot better, and I hope this thread continues to thrive with photos and stories; I'm eager to hear them all, as I'm sure a lot of others are too. ;D

Hey dear,

I hope you're doing ok!

:)

IMG_0974.JPGpicture150.jpg

On the left is the before picture. On the right is after.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say thank you all for taking the courageous step in showing off your old and new smiles. You have no idea how inspiring those pictures are, how they help bring a tremendous amount of hope that things get better. I cannot stress enough how much this forum has helped me so far, just reading everything. All the stories and the support of everyone, it's excellent.

I just wanted to share a picture and my success story, i don't have a picture of my smile before as i didn't know about this forum before plucking up the courage to go to the dentist. I grew up in a very poor area and didn't have access to dental care growing up, so as time went on my teeth got more and more cavities (i'm sure people relate). I was too ashamed to go to the dentist until i had too, i got an abscess in my gum due to a badly decayed back tooth, it hurt so bad that i could feel my pulse in my jaw! So i made an appointment and took my mum along for moral support, i was so scared in the waiting room but my dentist calmed me down and said that she was there to help. The examination was a strange experience, i had hid my smile for so long that having somebody looking into my mouth left me feeling so exposed and vulnerable, but after the first examination THE FEAR IS OVER. She printed me off a list of work that i needed doing, i needed-

3 extractions
2 crowns
37 fillings

The work was done over 4 months. Please don't be scared of the dental drill, my dentist would numb my gum with a gel and then give me the numbing injection, so i felt NO PAIN throughout all of my dental sessions (a dentist can also prescribe a sedative). Luckily i also had $2000 a year dental insurance through my work, which ticked over 2 months into my treatment so i had $4000 paid through insurance and it also covered white fillings. It was amazing after treatment was complete, it was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders and i could smile for the first time in my life! I also got braces to straighten my teeth and correct my bite (its quite cheap when paying in monthly instalments).
I hope this story helps people, my teeth were in terrible shape (my dentist said my teeth were quite far gone), but the teeth that i thought would need pulling out were fixed through white fillings, so its never as bad as you think.
Here my teeth now, you can do it too, i promise! :)

Attachments

• Photo on 2015-02-21 at 2.54 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2015-02-21 at 2.54 PM.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
So, I really don't have a before picture of this one... but this tooth has gone through a lot.
It started just needing a filling that I couldn't afford because unemployment and family poverty.
I got into a federal program for youth and they helped with a white filling, but it was too close to the nerve so they had to do a root canal. Thought all it needed was a filling after that.
Then, I go to the next dentist in a different city (Same program) and they say I have an infection there, and that I need to have the RCT redone. They found it crazy that they weren't using a rubber RCT filling inside, instead, archaic metal. The dentist did an awesome job on my tooth and I was happy with how it blended with the rest of my teeth. She suggests I should probably get a cap for it in the future, but I put it off.
A yearish later I realize I need a checkup so I go get one. (I'm out of the youth service then)
My tooth had become semi-sensitive (Now I know it's because the guttam percha material went just a tad too far down), and started to feel really delicate....
The dentist there said it's normally the procedure to get a crown after a RCT, even if it's on a front tooth and showed me where it would break if I did accidentally bite into something too hard.
Anyway, Tl;dr, I got the crown done. It's definitely not my old tooth on the outside, which I miss because I saw it as a part of my natural self.... But it's still there... It's a little bulkier than my old one, you can't see those little ~waves~ on the top of the tooth, and it looks so perfect, like it almost shouldn't be there.
(I do drink a lot of coffee/tea so my other teeth are not 100% perfect, but that's *not* what look I'm going for)
I'm not sure if you all can tell which one's not the real one... I certainly hope no one else can. I'm so apprehensive about that all the time, I still haven't told my boyfriend I got it done, in case he'd notice *after* I said something. lol

Attachments

• IMG_6667_zpsensckryz.jpg
    IMG_6667_zpsensckryz.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 151
Hadn't looked through this topic for a long time and I must say..AWESOME! Huge congratulations to everyone on their new smiles! We're a good looking group! ;)

Elderly woman with dementia broke off front tooth. I was able to bond it and also make it appear straighter._IGP5851.jpg_IGP5856.jpg

That's amazing:) It looks great.

This is my first set of fillings I've had since... I want to say 2013? It could be 2012, though. I had 2 fillings done today on the right-side of the front teeth. Still a LOOOOT of work to be done (I don't even know how many fillings are left and I don't want to know)

On the after shot, I still want her to smooth out the tooth right beside the big front tooth (it looks a tad lopsided to me? We ran out of time during the appointment too)

Attachments

• IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 218
I am sorry I do not have a before pic. There is no before at all, as I only had 10 teeth in the front, all rotten.

End result, 6 implants on top, 4 on the bottom.: en.jpg

Back