• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Being sedated... terrified of needles!!!

P

PianoPlaya94

I am getting my wisdom teeth out in 2 weeks at an oral surgeon's office. Fortunately, I only have 2 wisdom teeth and they are the top ones and are mostly erupted. So as far as wisdom teeth go, I have it good (according to the surgeon lol). I will be put to sleep (they use what's called "deep sedation" so I guess just one step above GA). But I'll need to receive an IV which I have never received before. The only time I've even given blood was when I was 9 and it was awful! I've had TB tests over the past few years (work in a hospital) and I HATE them. So I am so scared of getting the IV. Does it really hurt that bad? How can I distract myself from the needle?

Also, I've never had anesthesia before. What does it feel like?

;) Just had my first IV that I can remember (had one when I was 3) for IV sedation and was so relieved. Lightly pinching your hand with your thumb and forefinger hurts about the same. The needle may hurt less than a human pinch, actually.

The needle is tiny. And they take it right out. They replace it with this little tiny soft plastic tube so you won't be sitting there the whole time with metal in your arm.

The real challenge is in our heads. I was scared too. I watched multiple YouTube videos to prepare myself so nothing would come as a shock....and cried though every video. I asked them if they could put numbing cream on my arm, and although I didn't get it, they might give it to you. That's supposed to numb your arm a bit, which is more for psychological comfort. Physically, I didn't need it. When the moment came I was thinking, "Game face! This is not a big deal!" And it wasn't.

To distract yourself, you can listen to a podcast in earphones or talk to the people around you. When I've had blood drawn, I've literally asked extra staff to just talk to me for a few seconds. I have them tell me about their pets, their kids, just about anything.

Not to mention, IV Sedation is awesome. It is your friend. My surgery was 15 hours ago. I'm 33. I'm so old, one tooth was growing into my jaw and they had to remove bone matter. But I felt no pain (or fear!) under sedation, and nothing bad since I've been home, either.

P.S. Don't drink anything 8 hours before your appointment, but drink plenty before those eight hours! You know you did it right when your pee runs nice and clear! The water will give you nice big veins so the itty bitty needle only needs to enter a little bit of skin. They'll also ask you to clench your fist when they do it, which makes the arm feel stronger!

Hi ?
I know your post was a wee while back now, just wondered how you got on?

I struggled terribly with a severe needle phobia from as early as I can remember up until the age of 22/23. I refused all vaccines at school and was an absolute nightmare for my parents whenever they had to try to drag me to the GP to get them done. If I got ill I did not go to the doctor in case they asked for blood.

Now 26 years old and I’m a regular blood donor. I won’t pretend I love the needles but I find facing them head on on a somewhat regular basis keeps the memory fresh in my head that I’m going to be okay.

I wrote myself out a “fear ladder”, starting on the bottom rung with the least scary needle related thing and the top rung being donating. My first rung was looking at a cartoon (think Clip Art) syringe. From there I looked at a photograph of one, then a photograph of one assembled with the needle and so on... I explained to the staff at the blood centre what I was doing and they were truly incredible. They let me pop in just to sit in the waiting area and get familiar with the sounds and smells etc, then just to sit in the interview room, then watch someone have the finger test and right up until the end goal of donating they couldn’t have been more supportive.

I absolutely second the above response saying to really cram in as much water as possible, it helps the process along so much and helps prevent any discomfort!

I’m being referred for sedation for the work I need done because I just can’t get past the anxiety and panic once I’m in the dentist’s chair to allow her to do the work. I’m not too worried about the injection aspect, just how ill actually feel being sedated as I’ve never ever had any anaesthetic at all.

I hope your experience went well, and if I can help you in any way with your needle phobia please do just ask :)

Back