• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Best options?

J

Jonathan M

Hi! My name is Jon,I come here to ask some opinions on my situation. Here's the back story. When I was a kid I hardly brushed my teeth and loved soda and coffee.
The fronts of both canines had large carries,the tooth next to it had broken and could be seen through,the opposite side incisor had a large hole in the front(they cut a portion of the top off and sutured the gum over it,its just recently went down and is almost even with the other incisors gum line)I was 15-16 when I went and had them filled. I'm 23 going on 24 now. The other incisor has a large Carrie on the side from crowding with one of the filled teeth.
All the fillings have black lines around them,and I'm assuming are leaking. Also,both teeth behind the canines have carries also,one broke and the other seems to be internal. I feel no pain whatsoever just like when I was younger. What do you think my best options are. I had a lower filling done and they said those teeth are pointless to repair because of the surface area involved. I feel like the fillings could be replaced and expanded on the canines. I'm wondering what my options are. I'm even considering full upper dentures (or implants if I qualify) because no matter what I do they get worse and worse. What's the best option for me? I'm very afraid of how much they judged me when I was a teenager(they had every single person working huddled around me while they were doing the procedure and even accused me of meth mouth!) I can't stand my teeth being this way and would like insight without posting pictures (although I could). Another question I have is,does have an underbite affect the ability to have upper dentures?
I was also told that since the dimple(indention?) in my palate is the width of my pointer finger and offset to my right, dentures wont have enough suction. Is this true? They also mentioned I'd need some sort of gum surgery to correct that. The stress of possibilities and no answers is killing me. I'm hoping to get it done as soon as I can.

Sorry for the long first post

Thanks in advance,Jonathan

Last edited:
Hi Jonathan, I'm not a dentist but in my humble opinion: I would be very surprised if anyone could offer you suitable options based only on your post. I assume that the only person who really can decide what makes sense and what not is a dentist who examined you and, most importantly who you trust. I would be generally cautious about any dentist claiming that saving a tooth would be pointless and would always get a second opinion to get sure. You sound very frustrated with the state of your teeth and I get your consideration of dentures but this should always be the last option and saved for cases where your teeth cannot be saved.
If I were you I would see an another dentist or dentist(s) till I would find one that I feel I can trust. My own measure of trust in a dentist is not having the need to google or search for answers but feeling confident with the information and options he/she gave me.

All the best and keep us posted

Consider overdenture on natural roots with locators as a possible option. Technically more difficult but can be a very nice solution for years. There are no permanent solutions. Must take care and have a good diet.

What do you mean there are no permanent solutions? 10-20 years is a permanent solution in my mind(before being replaced). I'd like to get into a plan that includes routine cleanings and dentist checks. It is very difficult without insurance now. :shame:

Back