• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Best way to brush and floss

G

Former Member
Hi there,

As someone who is taking their first step to better oral health, I wonder if anyone has any tips on the best way to brush?

I think half my trouble started because I brush forwards and backwards with my toothbrush facing either up or down depending on upper or lower teeth. I think if I'd brushed up and down and side to side with my toothbrush facing left or right (and then doing it the other way) my gumline might not be in such a bad state. I say this because I have recently realised that my front teeth are quite big, so my toothbrush doesn't always reach right down to the gums unless I change my technique. I've since changed my technique and try to get all areas (albeit at the moment I have to brush around my gums quite gently as they hurt and bleed).

I also know I should floss. I don't do this at present, 1) because I have a fear of wobbly teeth and forcing some floss between two teeth that are very close together frightens me at the moment, and 2) because I've lot a load of tartar between my teeth and am scared the flossing will pull it and who-knows-what away with it.

I have D-day a week tomorrow. And once I've had some proper instruction from him I will do exactly as he says. When my mouth is a bit better sorted out and he tells me it is absolutely fine to floss, then I will floss religiously. I feel as though I need this reassurance before I can start. I will also invest in an electric toothbrush (haven't done as yet - once again due to vibrations causing tooth loss - duh), and will check the dentist says it's okay to use it before I start.

Hope everyone is having a good day,

Faye :hidesbehindsofa:

Re: Best way to brush

Hi there - some quick tips on toothbrushing!-
Use a soft or medium toothbrush with a small head. Change your brush every three months. Brush at least twice a day for two minutes using a fluoride toothpaste.
Fluoride is a chemical which strengthens the teeth. It can be found naturally in the water supplies of certain areas and is added to others. Unfortunately, in places like Scotland there is no or little fluoride in the water supply. Fluoride is also found in most toothpastes and may be given as supplements to children to help strengthen developing teeth. Ask your dentist if (s)he would recommend such supplements for your family.
You can get a prescription toothpaste from your Medical Doctor (it has 2800ppm Fluoride compared to the usual 1250-1500)- some dental surgeries sell it but dentists are not allowed to prescribe it (would cost NHS too much!!) The toothpaste is called 'Colgate Duraphat' and I recommend it to patients who are, like you, starting on an improved oral health regieme.) When using any toothpaste, you should not rinse out with water after brushing as this rinses the fluoride off of your teeth- just spit the excess toothpaste foam away.

The head of the toothbrush should be angled so that the bristles are at 45° to the gum margin to allow the tips of the bristles to clean under the gums. Brushing should be with small circular movements. Remember to clean all of the teeth and surfaces - outside, inside & biting surfaces. Don’t scrub too hard!

Electric brushes are ok, but if you are looking for the best, I would recommend the SoniCare (Elite) brush (I think OralB have also launched a similar brush which may be a bit cheaper) It can cost from £70-£120 depending upon where you buy it. Ask our dentist if they stock it, failing that you will find it in Boots/Superdrug etc. It is quite expensive but is very effective and they say that if your gums aren't better after 90 days they will give you your money back!!! It uses ultrasonic frequency (rather than the traditional mechanical action of electric brushes) and it flushes things out from between the teeth without scrubbing the gums. It is great for people with gum disease as it won't scrub the already receeded gums and exposed roots too hard. I use it myself and think it is excellent (I'm not on commission!!!)

Floss is a waxed or unwaxed piece of nylon string that is inserted between the teeth to remove debris and plaque. When Flossing- Take 30-40 cm (about the length of your arm) of floss and wrap around the middle finger of each hand. Pull the floss tightly between the fingers and using the thumbs and index fingers gently slide the floss between two teeth. Curve the floss around each surface of the two teeth in turn moving it between the tooth and gums as far as it will comfortably go under the gumline. Waxed tape floss is often easier for first time users. Ask your dentist or hygienist to demonstrate this technique if you are having problems. Don't worry about 'pulling fillings out' or 'damaging the teeth'- if a filling comes out with floss - it wasn't right anyway! Avoid a sawing action with the floss and you won't damage the gums. If tartar (calculus) comes away - all the better!

Hope this helps! ;D

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

I have a question if you don't mind. Is it recommended that you floss first, then brush? Or brush first, then floss? Or it really doesn't matter and any way you prefer is fine?

Thank you! :)

-James

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply, that's all my questions answered hehehe ;D

I will enquire about the toothpaste and will invest in some floss and try to have a go at using it. I was very interested to hear that it's best not to rinse toothpaste out of your mouth with water when brushing is finished, as I have been rinsing (ooops!)

If general electric toothbrushes aren't hugely better than a normal toothbrush then I'll stick to a normal one for the moment, and may ask for the sonic one for my birthday :)

Thanks again, very much appreciated

Faye

Floss or brush first?

Hi Mike,

I have a question if you don't mind. Is it recommended that you floss first, then brush? Or brush first, then floss? Or it really doesn't matter and any way you prefer is fine?

Thank you! :)

-James

I carried out a small survey of dentists on this matter a while back, it was split about 50/50. I usually brush first. ;D

I carried out a small survey of dentists on this matter a while back, it was split about 50/50. I usually brush first. ;D

Heh. ;D Me too. I was just wondering if it mattered. Guess not if dentists can't agree. ;D

Thanks for the response!

-James

Back