• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bet You Haven't Read Anything Like This Before

• Thread starter Chickadeeisabigchicken
  • Start date
C

Chickadeeisabigchicken

ALLOW ME TO INTRODUCE MYSELF:

1) I go by the username Chickadeeisabigchicken, but you can call me Chickadee for short. That was my Girl Guide Leader name.

2) I am from Canada, eh?

3) I am approaching the age of thirty.

4) I probably have one of the dorkiest smiles in the entire province of Alberta. Not even a Heifer would want to date me!

I am surprised to find a lot of Canadians that are in the same boat as me. Scared to go to the "evil place" as I like to call it. Not only am I surprised, but relieved too. I am not the only dork who feels self-contempt and self-pity and who has self-esteem issues. But it is better being alone in my thoughts and feelings, because nobody can bother me about going to "the evil place"! Of course, I am getting tired of thinking about my ugly teeth all the time. I say to myself "Okay Chickadee, you can call office #1 in Edmonton, then office #2 in Edmonton, then office #3 in St. Albert, then office #4 in Spruce Grove . . . and then you can compare each office. And after that..." There never is an "after that" because there never is any "that"! :shame: I am ashamed to tell you all this, because I know that I can and should be treating myself better. It's just that I do things 8, 9, or 10 times slower than the average person. The slower I put any uncomfterable experience off, the better, is what I have been telling myself for over 7 years. But I have had enough! I can admit that I need help.

This is me today: :censored:

This should be me in a a week: :redface:

This should be me in a month: :respect:

This will be me - hopefully - four or five months from now:
:cry: before entering "the evil place" . . .
:( in the waiting room (a.k.a. the entrance to "the torture chamber") . . . :sick: in "the torture chamber" waiting for "the evil master" to make her grand entrance . . .
:redface: me, finally getting out the truth (and realizing the master is my friend) . . .
and at the consultation :sick: almost puking . . . :innocent: trying to behave . . . :drool: drooling . . . :p laughing (I must be kidding myself) . . . :rolleyes: hmmm... option #1 or #2? (now I an really kidding myself) . . .
and as I am leaving the office - yes, I will call it an office! :thumbsup: . . . I will run as fast as I can! :meanie: but then come back to dentalfearcentral and be coaxed into making another appointment . . . :XXLhug:

This should be me a year to a year and a half from now: :jump:after a lot of treatment - slow and steady, though - and a lot of support from my new dentalfearcentral pals!

Am I dreaming? I hope not...so...not...so...I can't make up my mind, I am so confused! I am too afraid to do anything. HELP!

Last edited:
I am going to reply to myself. Why? To get more replies coming. Am I smart, or what? :party:

peace out peeps :thumbsup:

Could a Dental professional give me advice please?
1) invisalign
2) wisdom tooth removal surgery
thanks!

Very well used smilies;D Getting wisdom teeth out supposedly isnt anywhere close to as bad as everyone says...ill find that out for myself, in anywhere from few months to a couple of years.....:o

Heck forget about alot of Canadians... I found out that:

My step mom is in the same boat as I am...
At least two coworkers
and my boss - who when I admitted to him that I'd be useless for an hour before my appt (and he asked why) I told him about the valium and the dentist appt. He asked where he could get some!!! He has a crown he has to get done on a root canal that has never been properly finished.

And I thought I was a loner!!!

You CAN do it!!! You need to do it for:
a) your sanity
b) your overall well being
c) your sanity
d) the health of your teeth/mouth
e) your overall health
.. did I meantion your sanity?

Many of us can attest to the
:censored::cry::(:sick::o:scared::drool::redface::):):jump:

(I think I got those phases right)

While I'm not itching to get back in the dental chair (Sept will roll around soon enough), I went from wanting to :hidesbehindsofa: to :-* my dentist.

You have your own personal cheering section here :)

:welcome:

First of all relax
I was in your postion not even two weeks ago!!!
Even when I walk by a dentist office makes me sick!!!
I went last friday to my very first dentist appt that I was NOT sedated for!!!
I cryed and cryed :cry:and cryed:cry: for 3 days prior to the appointment!!
I cryed before I went in and while I was sitting in the chair!!!
But ~~~~~~
I made it:jump:
and so will you!!!
I still dont like to think about going back~~~~ But I have too
and so do you!!!
This forum is a great help!!!

Great post and use of smillies - as it happened I found a couple of promising looking websites in Edmonton only a couple of days ago, as you are right..we have recently had a lot of Canadians appear from nowhere almost.....if you are scared of pain from injections, look for a dentist with TheWand - the ones I found, had it along with lots of other hightech stuff so I really believe the right dentist for you is out there waiting in Edmonton...go and visit a few, ask questions, quick meet and greet than decide. Or make a shortlist and arrange 'chat only' appt for which you pay so if you don't like the dentist you meet, you can move on to No2 etc

Good luck :jump: Trust me find Mr/Mrs Right Dentist and after so much fear and reluctance, it will be :-* not :devilish: as someone else said.

Okay, you've done it, you've become the unofficial winner of the unofficial competition of using the most smilies in one post! Seriously, welcome to the board and may this be the beginning of the end of your fear as you continue to post messages here and get replies and start your dental journey to turn your smile into one of the best going. All you need is a bit more confidence in yourself, find the right dentist for you (and there will be one just around the corner I am sure) and your life will be completely different. This is quite the best place in town (in all towns, in all continents) and I for one have a completely changed life because of it.:grouphug:

I got my wisdom teeth out recently! It is not all that bad! As a matter of fact, I was making strawberry shortcake with my sister about four hours after my surgery! Do I recommend this? No, but my sister who is becoming a physician's assistant, handed me a knife and told me to start cutting strawberries! If she felt pretty comfortable handing me a knife after surgery like that, it's saying something! She is the most health paranoid person I know!

Strawberry shortcake eh? Now we're talking my language (second to chocolate).

Hey Chick

Good luck to you! It's a huge step to even be able to google dentists. I also luckily found this forum just before my first appointment in a number of years and it really did help me get through it and understand that many many people feel the same way (but never talk about it).

No embarrassment required !

xS :hug2:

Well, that wasn't exactly the kind of fanfare I had envisioned yeaterday / last night as I was thinking over and over and over and over (like a mouse in a wheel) about how people would respond to my post, but it was super nice of a few of you to welcome me to dentalfearcentral. I especially liked the welcome from the moderators. :) :) :) :) :) :) You seem like special people who care. I need to care more about my self and my health. AND MY SANITY! Life is not always full of fun and games, and I guess I haven't wised up and learned that yet.
I would rather daydream all day and forget about my problems. :cloud9:
But when I daydream, my thoughts often turn into scary ones . . . :( and then I worry about what my future will hold. For instance, I tell myself that a small greyish colored "pocket" underneath my left incisor (your right if you were looking at me) - which has gotten bigger over the last two weeks (just an example of something that could happen over the next two weeks) - is nothing to worry about, no big deal at the moment, I should live life one day ay a time, if it gets so bad that the pocket bulges out of my cheek and I am unable to speak properly, then I'll get it checked out, etc, etc...

Why am I always sabotaging my good intentioned plans for my "healthy living plan" that I created with the help of a therapist two years ago?

This is a SERIOUS cry from me to you for HELP - right away!

I do not want to lose who I am. And I definately do not want to lose my sanity!

P.S. The "pocket" under my incisor is real, and is really scaring me. :o Honesty is the best policy, right? So I hadta' come clean, eh?

Thanks S2z. You really are nice! :party:

Hey thanks - you seem like a very cool chick yourself! :respect:

In my humble opinion, you have already taken a huge step by admitting your fears and expressing them on this board. We seem to be scattered all around the world (I am in Cyprus) so there will always be someone to 'talk' to. I just had an appointment on Wednesday and am already feeling so much better about myself. I literally spent hours on this forum on Tuesday night just reading up on other peoples experiences and thoughts - it made me realise that I am not the only person with the fear, that I wasn't alone and that the dentist was certainly not going to recoil in horror when I opened my mouth!

I don't even think that I realised how much my worrying and obsessing about the state of my mouth was stressing me out until I made the big step into the 'evil place'.

I'll be here for you - bring it on!

xS :XXLhug:

S2z (and others) . . . Oh yyeeeaaah, I'll "bring it on"!

I am an extremely tough woman to break, so let me assure you that I will give you one heckuva fight. We Albertans know how to be rough and tough, 'cause we are from "way out west". Y'know, out here we've got cows, fields, cows, fields, more cows, more fields, even more (MOOoOOoo!) cows... Not to mention a shortage of Medical / Dental professionals - who are also a bunch of "cows". Just kidding! That's just my perception of them right now, but I'm sure it will change over time - s l o o o w l y of course!

But really, I am a softie on the inside. You just have to know how to break through my walls of pain and distrust and fear.

My nerves have been shaken several times before, and I am not very willing to go through another stressful ordeal again.

:devilish: GOOD LUCK - you'll need it!

You just have to know how to break through my walls of pain and distrust and fear.

:devilish: GOOD LUCK - you'll need it!

Ello and welcome. Think it's you who has to break through those walls, and the fact you're here and talking about this shows you're ready!:XXLhug:

"Ello" poodledoo...

Please write back poodle!

You are right. But I am one tough cookie. :p I am also silly and ironic at times when I write to people in a post or e-mail. But I know how to be level-headed when it becomes important to act that way. Tell me what to do - I am confused (and nearly broke, the reason why I can not afford any treatment)

By the way, are you British?

I'm back . . . sorry for being away for so long. Hope any new members read my "stories" and my poems. Search for chickadeeisabigchicken. TTFN

Oh hello you, I was hoping you'd be back soon!

How you getting on?:)

Ah yes and I am British. Having my first check up since all my work I had done back in May, in a couple of weeks. This past 6 mths has gone so fast!

WHY IS NOBODY ELSE RESPONDING TO MY POST ... PLEASE RESPOND ASAP ... I WANT TO MAKE AS MANY NEW FORUM FRIENDS AS POSSIBLE. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE, BECAUSE I AM SEEKING A LOT OF SUPPORT AT THIS VERY MOMENT! I AM VERY SCARED TO MAKE THE NEXT BIG MOVE!!

BYE FOR NOW YALL ... FROM ALBERTA, CANADA, EH!

Back