• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bewildered and anxious: who can I trust?

RustyRebecca

RustyRebecca

After not getting the curved root out with iv sedation, I sought another dentist, realising that my issues surrounded trusting the dentist, as well as my own anxiety.
But this is when things have got confusing and worrying. And I have not found the trust I want and am spending a fortune before I even have work done trying to find the right dentist.
Imagine, if you can, I have my four front teeth but gaps after that each side where my canines were, so I don't smile. As well as the UR5 curved root problem and UL5 crumbled tooth with an unfinished root canal.
I saw a new dentist. He was very thorough. He told me I have periodontal disease. I think I may well have as I was in pain when he was exploring my mouth. But the thing is, after all the dentists that I have seen, he is the first to say this. And I have seen so many! He then went on to say that until that was treated, he could not do anything about the gaps. So I told him, but the dentist before said he would remove my bridges because they were twisting my front teeth and putting them at risk, and when they firmed up, then he would do something about the gaps (like another bridge). So one dentist said to wait for my teeth to firm up, the other said to control the perio disease and then do something! The dentist before said he would crown my front four teeth and supply bridges and this would cost about £5000. This dentist said he wouldn't crown my front teeth as that would be wrong and instead would explore the composite that is on them with teeth whitening or something?! And his prices for restoring the crumbled root canal tooth is almost £2000! For one small tooth! UL5. I was so shocked. Then he found fillings in other areas, about 3 or 4, and the total sum, without even doing anything about the gaps was about £5000. In fact, with him, to have perfect teeth, restore everything and maybe have implants (if the perio is okay) would cost almost £18000! They put me on a membership where I pay £43 a month to get me about 10% off treatment as I pay as I go.
I am worried and anxious and confused. I don't know who to trust. I don't know if the dentist before should even be sued for not picking up the periodontal disease that this dentist said caused the bridge to fail. And these extra fillings the dentist before never saw or said about.
I am at my wits end.

I sort of agree with the last guy that you should make sure the periodontal disease is sorted out before starting on crown and bridgework. I wasn't hugely convinced by the thinking behind removing your bridges, but that's without seeing things for myself. :)
As far as diagnosing fillings to be done, most dentists have different criteria before deciding to intervene, it's not surprising that one dentist will treatment plan more or less fillings than another one.

Thank you Gordon. The bridges were removed due to loosening my front teeth. But why didn't the dentist before diagnose periodontal disease as that is serious? And the last guy is charging a lot of dosh. Thats basically extortionate. And I do think its surprising actually so have to disagree with you! There shouldn't be such a big discrepancy between dentists diagnosis. It should not be so subjective. And one small tooth costing almost £2000?

Back