• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Beyond terror!

L

lorraine.s

Since I was a child and had my milk teeth removed (under gas) to make room for my 2nd teeth, by a nasty strict dentist :devilish: who slapped my leg for crying,I have only ever forced myself to go to a dentist when toothache or abcesses showed up,and even then I had to be dragged there,the fear has never left me,and even though my last visit 8 yrs ago was under heavy sedation,my husband still had to physically haul me through the door of the surgery,bar the door then sit on me to stop me running off,I get so scared I can't speak,I can barely breathe,well sadly my husband passed away and I have nobody to drag me back to have some much needed work done and teeth extracted,I really need someone with me to support me and there is nobody at all willing to get me there as Im like a deranged child as soon as I get near the surgery door,I really need an NHS dentist or a referral to hospital,but I just can't go inside a surgery, my only income is carers allowance for looking after my 76 yr old brother who has dementia,so can't afford any costs involved,and from the state of my poor old choppers,I will need dentures as I can barely eat at the moment,does anyone have any ideas please?

I know what you mean I would not be able to go to appointments on my own as the hospital I go to is at least 45mins away by train,not sure what to say but does sound like you may need some sort of sedation if you need some out.

Hi lorraine, sorry to hear about your difficult situation. I must admit that imagining someone dragging you to the dental office for you to be able to get your treatment, despite being in a place of extreme and intense anxiety sounds very sad to me and I can understand that your anxiety didn't lessen from it. I wished you had a dentist who would treat your anxiety and wouldn't let you force yourself into a treatment, but I am also aware that costs are a very difficult topic when it comes to dental care.

My idea would be to start to look for a nhs practice that accepts new patients, one that you feel you might feel comfortable with. Maybe you could find one that you could contact via email in advance to explain your situation. Going inside a surgery is still a huge step, maybe you could start with the reception and the waiting area.. and hopefully you find a practice that is experienced with nervous patients and can help you get through the visit.

All the best wishes, may you find a helpful and kind practice very soon.

Hi Lorraine, have you ever been treated by the Community Dental Service before? In many areas of the UK, they provide services for phobic patients who are unable to be treated in an NHS practice (because very few of them are able to provide sedation these days for people who would benefit from sedation).

If you let us know whereabouts in the UK you are located, we can have a look for you to see who you could contact about this.

I am certain that there will be a way for you to get the help that you need!