• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

BIG test!

D

dellam

tomorrow's the big test...I started going to the dentist on September 20, at 2 in the afternoon, after a break of around 25 years. since then, I've done what I never thought I could (thanks to this site) - I've been back for several appointments and had a thorough programme of deep cleanning & scaling.
But now it's the moment I always knew was coming...I have to decide whether to accept an injection. chronic needle phobia has been one of the main factors keeping me away from the dentist for all these years.
He has to repair a couple of broken teeth - downstairs, at the back. He says he's pretty sure he'll only need to cut into existing filling material and not tooth tissue, and so I won't need an anaesthetic.
so what do I do? risk the drilling without any numbing? Help!!!!

Hi Den - good to see you're still around :)! Difficult to give a hard and fast answer to this one... Accepting an injection would be a major achievement, and it might feel brilliant to have "done it" in time for Christmas. Or you might feel happier trying this one without an injection and leaving it till later. Or you could wait until you're there tomorrow and decide on the spot. Or try and go "just" for an injection, where nothing else is done, so that it doesn't feel as overwhelming perhaps (dealing with one thing at a time).

So it very much depends on how *you* feel about this :).

It's fantastic to hear you've come this far. WELL DONE :grouphug:!!!

Hello Den,
By the time you read this, your appointment/treatment will be over and you'll be standing 10 feet tall!! And you'll be another step closer to finishing your treatment :jump:

:grouphug:

Hello Lets! Hello Happy! thank you for your kind words - as you see, I survived! I just had one tooth completed, that was enough for one day, so I have a final visit to look forward to, next week. today? well, it wasn't my idea of a fun afternoon out - but it wasn't painful either. as always, the anticipation that something really awful might be about to happen is much, much worse than the reality.
Now you can't believe how pleased I feel. the repaired tooth is perfect, just like new, and to think I'd lived with this discomfort, and the risk of decay and infection, for so long before I finally brought myself to the dentist's door!!
My teeth are so much better. But more than that, life has changed for me. I won't ever enjoy going to the dentist, but I no longer dread it. I feel like a huge burden has been lifted.
Up to three months ago, I swear, I could not imagine myself within a mile of a dentist's chair...so if I can do it, anyone can!

Wtg Den, :jump:
Glad everything went ok for you. You have done so well and come a long way in such a short time.

Wish I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Hi den,

It's great to hear that things went well for you and that a little bit more has been completed :thumbsup:. I've been following your posts since the beginning (on the old board) and as happy has said, you've come a long way in a short space of time, so well done :).

den said:
But more than that, life has changed for me. I won't ever enjoy going to the dentist, but I no longer dread it. I feel like a huge burden has been lifted.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who does enjoy going to the dentist, in fact I'd be extremely wary of someone who was into that sort of thing! ;) :p

It must be a fantastic feeling when you no longer dread going to the dentist anymore. Please keep us updated with your progress - as you know, reading success stories really helps :).

Hi den,

Thanks for sharing a hopeful post. Anyone who has followed your story from the old board knows what you had to overcome just to make it this far. Good for you! :jump:

:cheers:

-James

Fantastic stuff - WELL DONE, DEN :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:!!!!!

Hello everyone! Thanks for your messages & support...but really, you're making me blush! I haven't endured half as much as some people on this board.
Today's the day - my final visit! And to be honest, I feel as tense as ever, as the hour gets close. The difference now, though, is that I know I can overcome my fear.
One more tooth to repair. This is the biggest and probably the most difficult, right down there at the back. But another half-hour in the dentist's chair and I'll be ready to attack the Xmas turkey.
Believe me, a few months ago I never believed this would be possible. I won't allow myself to get into that state of anxiety again, of course. After today I'll book another appointment for a six-month check up, just to keep myself familiar with dental visits.
Once this is over, and my nervous system's back to normal, I'll post the story of how it went, from the start last September.Seems a long time ago!

Hi Den,
Gosh....you have come so far in such a short time :jump: You must be feeling on top of the world right now tho.....knowing this will be your last treatment :party:
I know about feeling tense! I have my 3rd appointment tomorrow for sedation and the nerves kicked in again yesterday big time ( i got pretty drunk at the weeekend so i didnt think about it)

Well done tho den. We'll look forward to your success story being posted. You deserve a medal.

I hope everything went fine today/yesterday :thumbsup:!
You've done fantastically well (no need to blush :cloud9:) - and enjoy that turkey :party: :cheers:!!

Hello everyone...yes, my final session went fine. I now have two perfectly-sculpted molars where there used to be broken ruins!
Thank you all, for all your messages of support and encouragement. Without the help of this site, I couldn't have done it, there's no question. It's hard to believe now - but at the start I couldn't even THINK about getting into a dentist's chair.
What I read here, about other people's phobias, slowly made me realise that I wasn't some freak, and that, like so many others, I could face up to my fears too.
It also led me to my excellent dentist - Graham Raven, in Birmingham UK - who had the understanding (and the kind of practice) to let me go at my own pace.
Which has been very slow! A bit at a time. I had my first appointment on Sept 20 (2 in the afternoon, I remember the moment so well) and my last on December 20. Now I've booked a check-up for June 20. Partly because I want to maintain my dental-visit regime, and never get into a state of avoidance again, and partly because Graham and the lovely Trish, his nurse, have helped me so much, they have become like friends.
I'm actually going to miss my visit to the dentist - how crazy does that sound!!?
When I've time after Christmas I'll post my SUCCESS story...maybe it will encourage even one other person, like I was encouraged...

Back