• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Biopsy result waiting time...6 weeks?!!!

S

stuart

Hi,
I had a cyst removed from my upper left jaw exactly a week ago. The surgeon came to me before the op, explained what he was going to do, and after the op I expected to see him again to tell me how it went. But I was just sent home with painkillers and an appointment to follow up in 7 weeks.

I rang the hospital today to see if I could get the results of the biopsy and was told I will be told during my follow up in 6 weeks time!! 6 weeks is a hell of a long time to wait especially if it's bad news!!

I just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience of having to wait this long, is it the norm? I don't think I can function for that long without knowing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

NEVER heard of such a wait for a general biopsy few days to 10 is the norm.

Hi, I don't know where you are from but if in the US you should be able to get your results sooner than that (by law you are entitled to them). They most likely have them by this time, as comfortdentist said 7-10 days is the norm, if not sooner. Can you call the surgeon's office directly instead of going through the hospital? Some surgeon's have a policy whereby they will not give results over the phone but only at the f/u visit, however you are still entitled to them. Six weeks is a long time to wait, call the office and ask to speak to a nurse and very nicely tell her/him you are very anxious about this and cannot wait 6 weeks. Do not ask the receptionist for the results, they cannot and should not be giving them, so you need to bypass them. If it helps any at all, from all my "hypochondrial experience" if it's bad news they usually don't make you wait 6 weeks but give you a personal call.

Hi, I don't know where you are from but if in the US you should be able to get your results sooner than that (by law you are entitled to them). They most likely have them by this time, as comfortdentist said 7-10 days is the norm, if not sooner. Can you call the surgeon's office directly instead of going through the hospital? Some surgeon's have a policy whereby they will not give results over the phone but only at the f/u visit, however you are still entitled to them. Six weeks is a long time to wait, call the office and ask to speak to a nurse and very nicely tell her/him you are very anxious about this and cannot wait 6 weeks. Do not ask the receptionist for the results, they cannot and should not be giving them, so you need to bypass them. If it helps any at all, from all my "hypochondrial experience" if it's bad news they usually don't make you wait 6 weeks but give you a personal call.

I'm in the UK, and it's 10 days now without anything but a f/u appointment. You're right though, I have had to try and get through the defence of departmental receptionists, who are very officious to say the least. I'm going to give it this week, so 14 days since the op, and then try again!

Back