• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

bisphosphonates and tooth extraction

W

wits end

Hi,

I wonder if you could help me please.

Twelve years ago I had a mastectomy and one of the tablets that I took for five years following the operation was Fosamax. I have now been off this for seven years now.

I did have three teeth extracted seven years ago and followed the advice from the hospital that I should take a course of antibiotics at the time so as to avoid necrosis of the jaw bone. There were five teeth that were broken off at the gum but the three that were extracted were very shallow rooted and they didn't want to risk me having problems if the other two were extracted at the time.

I still have the two deeper rooted ones and am now wondering after seven years of being off Fosamax if I ever have to have the other two teeth extracted will I need to take antibiotics?

Thank You.

No one has an absolute answer to this one.

Hi,
Although the bisphosphonates do have a lingering effect long after you stop taking them, if you are otherwise healthy and generally heal well then I think your chances of having problems are very low indeed, whether or not you take antibiotics.
Personally, I think you have nothing to worry about!:)

Lincoln

Hi,
Although the bisphosphonates do have a lingering effect long after you stop taking them, if you are otherwise healthy and generally heal well then I think your chances of having problems are very low indeed, whether or not you take antibiotics.
Personally, I think you have nothing to worry about!:)

Lincoln

Thank you very much for replying to my question Dr Hirst.

Back