• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bisphosphonates/severe osteoporosis and dental/implant issues

• Thread starter krlovesherkids777
  • Start date
krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
So unfortunately I got the bad news I have severe osteoperosis and they will be talking about treatment plans.

For the dentists, I know that I've heard Biphosphoantes can mess up dental work and jaw bone from what i hear.

My dream is to get more implants and get rid of my bottome dentures, Do you think it might be totally out of the pictures.

Would you suggest not to take these medications if i'm in the middle of an implant?

I obviously can't answer your question, but just wanted to say I am so sorry to hear about the diagnoses! Osteoporosis is genetic on both sides of my family, so I am looking at it in my future, possibly.

I hope you can still find a way to get the implants!

Is there any way at all you can get the implants placed before starting the Bisphosphonates?
There is some evidence that implants can still be done during BP treatment but there's a higher risk of implant failure and osteonecrosis (which is very bad).

Here's some conclusions from a systematic review of the literature if you want to wade through it..

The literature reviewed say that patients who take oral bisphosphonates, can be submitted to dental implant surgery, on the condition that the risks are thoroughly assessed. The evaluation of the risks associated to the patients comprises: type of agent, dose, and duration of BP treatment (determinant); female gender, age greater than 65 years, comorbidities such as diabetes or obesity, tobacco abuse, concomitant treatment such as corticotherapy, chemotherapy, immunosuppressive therapy, mandibular localization, posterior area, bone diseases such as exostosis, or tori, harboring a badly fitted prosthesis (potentially aggravating), and periodontal disease, bad oral and dental hygiene (aggravating).

Diabetes, chemotherapy, steroids use, hypertension and smokers habits were the most common risk factors found among the patients enrolled on the studies. Implant supported dentures are great resources to rehabilitation of edentulous areas in comparison with the traditional prosthetic appliances, however the bone condition (quantity and quality) and its healing capacity are factors that cannot be left without the appropriate attention because they can influence the success rate of the dental implants procedures.

Thank you Mountain Mama and Gordon. Honestly I'm Thinking of upping my calcium. And for d plus adding more supplements and trying some dietbadvice. I know endocrine Drs sometimes want you to get on this medicine but as a good anxious or I've been googling for much of day yesterday and not liking what I see of side effects especially dental related. I do not want to crush my dental dreams.

To be honest, there's not much you can do to pre-empt the issues with the BPs. They are fantastic drugs and nothing else works as well as them, it's just a shame that the way they work causes some dental issues.

Update: I have spoken with my endocrinologist and another as a second opinion. and They both suggested Forteo, which is a bone builder instead of inhibiting the reabsorption process. Its a huge decision as its a shot everyday for 2 years, but they both say its a much better option with no known dental side effects. They both want me to get my dental work done asap so I can do the forteo while doing the dental work and the bisphosphonates after that as they are saying my osteoperosis is "significant and severe".

One thing I am very thankful of is the role that my dentists have played.. I contacted my previous dentist since he does the all on 4's to get his prospective, as well as my current dentist who so kindly researched the biphosphonates and advised me not to start those as did my previous until my current dental work is done if I can wait.. to hold off as long as I can. They both have been helping me with advice and reassurement and just shows the value of the dentist as a part of your whole health team ..Also really appreciated both my endocrinologist respect for the dental work needing to be done and providing me other options to make sure the situation is best for me. I loved to see the medical and dental fields working so greatly together and with the patient!! Its beautiful.. even if the diagnosis isn't.

I am so glad they were able to find a solution that allows you to get your dental work done! My mom gets the shots, and she has had them for 6 months now. She was taking a pill before that, and said the shots are much better, as the pill was hard on her stomach.

I hope everything goes well with it. Do you have a timeline?

Oh Mountain mama that means alot to me to hear she is doing better on shots..its scary to think of and actually when I ran that idea past my dentist he kind of chuckled thinking of me trying to give myself shots.. we both laughed not at the idea of these shots but only because he knows how much i just love dental shots .. , Right now.. I'm talking my dentist about the financial end of things.. I really have no idea how I'm going to do this. I wasn't planning on trying to do all my work in 2 years .. i was thnking maybe 5-6 .. so .. I have to work that out somehow.

Oh Mountain mama that means alot to me to hear she is doing better on shots..its scary to think of and actually when I ran that idea past my dentist he kind of chuckled thinking of me trying to give myself shots.. we both laughed not at the idea of these shots but only because he knows how much i just love dental shots .. , Right now.. I'm talking my dentist about the financial end of things.. I really have no idea how I'm going to do this. I wasn't planning on trying to do all my work in 2 years .. i was thnking maybe 5-6 .. so .. I have to work that out somehow.

I hope you can find a good plan that works with your finances! I know how hard that is.

Really glad you are surrounded by competent health and dental care professionals and getting some clarity about the direction that is to be taken, even if it is not what you hoped for.. Will keep my fingers crossed for you to find a way to deal with the financial part of stuff as well.. :hug4:

Back