• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bite - dentist listening?

M

MumOfBoys1985

No idea what to call this thread so apologies for that!

So I had a molar filling fixed yesterday and she asked me to bite down, I couldn't tell if it felt "normal" because I was literally numb up to my ears. She did the bite paper thing a couple of times and said it looked fine but asked me to sort of bite and chomp a bit so she could listen .... I thought at the time thats weird never before have I had a dentist listen to my bite my teeth together.

Never thought to ask at the time though, but what exactly was she listening for? Any ideas?

The good thing was, she got my bite perfect, better than it even was before she fixed the tooth.

Thanks in advance.

My dentist does this too and I was very surprised. A bite that is "right" obviously sounds differently than a bite that is "not right" and a dentist can tell. Impressive, isn't it? :)

Oh really, I never knew that! She has got it absolutely spot on, so I'm really pleased - still some jaw pain though a few days later but so far so good.

Thank you for your reply, you learn something new every day. ?

My dentist does check my bite if I have a filling or work done.

She does not do this very often if I am just having a checkup.

New amalgam fillings squeak if the bite is too hard on them :) Composite makes a sort of graunch noise.

Thank you Gordon that's useful to know. I'm thinking it's composite as its white? She asked if it felt ok but I was literally numbed up to my ear, the whole of my tongue and down the left of my face, I couldn't feel a thing. I wished I had asked her at the time but I thought I had probably asked far too many questions by that point anyway

Thank you again, as always.

Back