• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bite - For a dentist

L

littlestar88

Hi
I think my bite is wrong. My teeth dont meet properly all the way along.
Im going to see a dentist in two weeks time but I'm really scared.
What can be done for a bite that is off? I really don't want braces but will invisalign work for it?
Also my wisdom teeth have been a little painful so I expect to be told to I'll have to have them removed, will this help?
How much could this cost private in the UK?

Hiya good luck with your appointment. They wont just remove the wisdom teeth, they only do that i think if its the last resort.

I've been really stressed about my wisdom teeth for ages but now I'm kind of hoping they will just get rid of them. Stupid things are hurting my jaw and poking out at an angle and biting my cheeks! ouch...and hoping it will fix my bite a bit too

Just wanted to add that my bite is much better in the morning than the evening for some odd reason? Anyone know why? Someone (not a dentist) suggested stress?

It comes and goes really bit.
If i bite down hard on my teeth it can ache sometimes, not on one tooth really but on different ones. I had a bit of an ache in my jaw bone last week but its gone again now.
Its not painful as such but a bit niggly at times. i just realised i don't want it getting worse and its enough to make me face my fear (I hope)
Theres a fuller explanation in the journal section if you have time to read that.

Hi
Just wanted to say that I have the same problem. For about 2 months now my bite has not lined up and it feels like one of the front teeth have moved back making it hard to chew. Very uncomfortable and same thing with it being worse at night. Nights are awful and it feels like all my teeth are aching...

Anyway went to the dentist a few weeks ago and she confirmed that my back wisdom tooth (which is broken and has an abcess) is pushing all the other teeth and this is what is causing my changed bite. Yes of course they want to pull all four of them out not just the one causing problems! Anyway have an appointment with the oral surgeon tomorrow and am going to ask him if my teeth will go back to normal after extraction or whether Im looking at braces as well...

Will let you know

The wisdom teeth certainly can create bite issues as they come in and interfere with things. Their removal might help the problem. In other cases, a bite adjustment can be done but it's best to carefully examine what is causing the problem in the first place and to determine whether adjusting the teeth can resolve the problem or whether orthodontic work involved braces might be needed.

Thank you!
Looking forward to getting the darn wisdom teeth out then! Hopefully that should fix it because I had a slight overbite when I was oyunger but never enough to worry me or my dentist.
if I was looking to get braces could I get invisalign? Or is that only to straighten teeth?

I've been really stressed about my wisdom teeth for ages but now I'm kind of hoping they will just get rid of them. Stupid things are hurting my jaw and poking out at an angle and biting my cheeks! ouch...and hoping it will fix my bite a bit too

Just wanted to add that my bite is much better in the morning than the evening for some odd reason? Anyone know why? Someone (not a dentist) suggested stress?

Looks like what we call a cheek bite. Your wisdom teeth are probably growing at a wrong angle causing the cheek bite.

Note that problems with Wisdom teeth does not mean definite removal. It can be treated non-surgically too.

and regarding your bite, you will need to go for an orthodontic treatment. Please note that although Invisalign look great , they take a longer duration to work and tend to be costly too.

My teeth don't meet all the way along either. I have never been told that I need to have my bite realigned!

I can either bite together my back teeth so that they align, or my front teeth, but never both. I never thought this was abnormal until now!!

Well, no. With a normal bite, when the back teeth are touching, your upper front teeth should overlap your lower front teeth. Not sure if I've misunderstood your comment though :).

if I was looking to get braces could I get invisalign? Or is that only to straighten teeth?

I think it depends on the amount of crowding and what needs to be done. Some more severe cases probably aren't able to be handled using invisilign alone. I don't do ortho so you'd have to ask a different dentist about that! Invisilign is a series of thin, clear trays created to straighten teeth. They are more costly than braces I believe.

My dentist said my bite is all messed up, too! When he took the XRays, and was explaining things to me, he couldn't even tell me WHAT KIND of a bite problem I have. I'm thinking he's waiting til after my 9 extractions are done (Oct. 8) to see what to do about it.
I love coming to this forum and finding out that my dental problems are not just unique to me. Other people have similar problems.
Take care,
Jen

Back