• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

bitewing gagging and root canal

C

Chaosdeal

hi,

i am battling with the fear , my tooth are not good but also not extremely bad i think i got 2 big cavities and a part of a filling broke off , for the 2 big cavities i maybe need a root canal , i am scare for the root canal and what the dentist will say about the broken filling the worset fear is extraction , i have an appointment for this later this month to get looked at it (it happend after my last visit) and treatment if i can cope with it at that moment.

but somthing bigger fear is , they cant take bite wings they tried maybe 30 times diffrent dentist did but the result gagging gagging gagging it wont work the gagging will be also tirrgerd because i have a disabilty in my mouth muscles , they took other pictueres the thing that goes around the head it gives no problems , now i read somthing about root canal and its says on internet websites they took x ray during root canal , but i really cant take them maybe ever in the future but not now , what if i need the root canal if they hit the nerve while drilling or i got maybe ever an abcess , can they treat me if the x rays fail again or let they simply live me with pain or maybe get killed?

Last edited:
Do they always try using the same technique? They should be able to use a different technique to see if they have better luck getting an x-ray. I know sometimes the trick is to use the smaller ones or not use the full equipment, especially the part that holds everything.

Also, have you tried using sedation? I know my dentist office usually tells me I can get the nitrous oxyde while I do the x-ray, if I need it. I'm good without it as long as they give me enough time and they encourage me while I'm going through it.

i been at different dentists and i am sure that they had different films , at my currenct dentist the film seems relativly small the dentist say also they dont have a smaller one. i dont treid sedation yet i heard they can arrange nitorus but i am not sure for iv sedation you need to refferd to a hospital clinic in this country (the netherlands) also the dentist itself dosent has said that it is a problem at my last appointment when the cavities diagnosed and the gagging happend , i only got scared when i googled

Hi Chaosdeal,

sorry to hear about your worries and it seems that you keep overthinking a lot at the moment. It sounds like you do not even have a proper diagnosis yet, but in your mind you are already picturing root canal treatments and extractions. This is how fear works and we all do that, but it would be good not to think too far and first letting the dentist see what needs to get done. Chances are that you only need fillings that can be done without the bitewing x-ray.

I second geos' idea with the nitrous, it sounds like a good next step. The point would be for you not to try to do anything that you have already tried for so many times. If you know that bitewings are something that just doesn't work, then the aim should be to discuss this with a dentist and find a way to deal with it. If it doesn't work out, you could still consider iv at a hospital, but again, do not think too much at this point.

Last piece of advice: please do not google. If you want to read stories, focus on the success stories here. Just try not to do anything that makes your fears worse (easier said than done, I know..)

By the way, there is a great article about gagging here on the site. You might find some inspiration there: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/gagging/

All the best wishes and keep us posted:)

Back