• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Biting down on tin foil with a filling

J

Joebough

I’ve read that when you do this it creates a battery effect simulation in the tooth nerve but a girl friend of mine told me how she did this and she created a noise in her head that kept repeating is this possible ?

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is a battery effect simulation in the tooth nerve? And why would you wanna bite on tin foil?

J

Joebough

Not sure I don’t know much about it I’m adamant it never happened she’s adamant it did

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I think that's the part of how people perceive things differently and like everyone has their own unique experiences. I don't have an answer for you, but sometimes it's good to let go.. no need to bite on tin foils.

C

comfortdentist

Verified dentist
Never argue with your girlfriend because you always lose in some way.

Sol

Sol

I like comfortdentist's answer better but here is why biting on tin foil could cause pain if you have metal fillings or crowns.

There was an old urban legend that Lucille Ball started when she was on a talk show many years ago. During the interview she stated that one day she felt like her metal fillings were picking up on radio waves so maybe that's where your girlfriend got the idea.