• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bitten on something hard: wire retainer is still connected, but feels unpleasant?

K

Kygo87

Bitten on something hard: wire retainer is still connected, but feels unpleasant?

After having had braces, I received a wire retainer behind my teeth to keep everything in place. Never had any big problems with it in the 10 years I had it. Three weeks ago however I've bitten on something hard and immediately felt that something was wrong. It felt like 3 of my teeth in the lower jaw were loose or something since the tension on the wire was very different there. When sliding my tongue over the back of those teeth it just feels strange and unpleasant.

In the meantime I've visited 3 separate dentists (yep...) to check on the wire, and each of them told me everything still looked fine and the wire is still attached to all teeth. None of them however knew exactly what the weird feeling could be, and told me it will probably go away. They were right that after more than three weeks the feeling got better, but still if I slide my tongue on the back of those teeth, it doesn't feel like it used to in those 10 years before. So my 2 questions are:

1. What can cause this strange feeling, what could have shocked my teeth so bad?
  2. Since all the dentists told me the wire is still connected, is there any risk my teeth will move, even though the wire is still in place?

Re: Bitten on something hard: wire retainer is still connected, but feels unpleasant?

Hi :welcome:to the forum.

Sorry I am not a dentist and cannot help you with this. I just wanted to welcome you, hopefully someone that can help you will be along soon :butterfly:

Back