• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bizarre Wisdom tooth experience

W

WORM

Let me start by saying I am a long time lurker of this forum and i would like to thank all that post to help ease everyones mind about the dentist.

Now, I had my appointment last Friday at 8 to remove all 4 wisdom teeth. The bottoms are all the way through while 1 one of the tops is not and the other is poking through. So the morning of the surgery I took 1 pill of Xanax wich was .5mg they offered me two 5mg Valium which I declined for the Xanax that I had. I take it an hour befor arrive and they get me right back to the chair. Once in the chair they get the IV started and want to put the mask with Nirous and Oxygen on. I decline and advise to just inject me to get started. The nurse gives me something to help me relax via IV but I did not feel any differ.ent The Dr then comes in and gives me the main sedation drug also via IV which also did not work. He then advised that this will need to performed under General Anesthesia at the hospital. IS this normal ? I thought the drugs were supposed to make you feel like you went to sleep. Any thoughts on this?

Not a doctor, but I do send ? for bravery. Well done for being a good sport.

Things will go better next time. Keep us posted.

I agree with DG6300. you were definately brave and are! I have heard of these rare occurances here on testimonies. Not sure of any answers but just wanted to second that you really are doing all you can taking huge strides. Maybe this specific dentist wasn't sucessful like this but another more experienced with anxiety might be?

I sure hope so. I was bummed that I was not able to have it done (I know that may sound weird as if I was looking forward to it) The nurse that was in the room is due to give me a call so that we can discuss options but I believe the Dr is dead set on GA which I really do not want to do.

Sorry to read how it went. Did your dental team mentioned what they thought was the reason for the sedation not to work for you?

They mentioned that Maybe I metabolized the meds to fast or even that plus nerves?

Either way very Strange

Hi WORM, IV sedation is very very effective. There can be a number of reasons why it didn't have the desired effect (from what I've heard over the years - I'm not a dentist):

1) If you've had a history of using benzodiazepines, especially over a long period of time/in high doses, you may become sort of "immune" to midazolam (the main drug used for IV sedation). Is this a possibility?

2) Midazolam needs to be titrated, that is, given in small increments until the desired effect is achieved. The right dose varies from person to person. It's pretty unpredictable going on things like body weight alone - a petite female might need more than a huge wrestler for example. Some dentists may have a preference for a set amount of a drug (usually due to lack of quality training), and this amount may not be enough for you.

3) Perhaps the most likely thing is that the IV line wasn't properly in the vein and you didn't get enough of the drugs.

Hi letsconnect,

I do not have a history of abusing any medication.

I was giving the Midazolam first via IV to help me relax and then the Dr came in a few minutes later to give me a dose of propofol and some other med mixture. The nurse did say that I was out for a few seconds and then came right back out of it.

What you're describing (being out using propofol) would actually be regarded as General Anaesthesia in the UK. What happened all sounds a bit haphazard... perhaps you might be better off (safer) in a hospital where a properly qualified anaesthetist is present rather than in this particular office... or find someone who is more experienced with sedation.

I thought the drugs were supposed to make you feel like you went to sleep.

Not quite, at least not with conscious sedation. We've got a page on it here (written from a UK perspective):

So after speaking with the nurse again to get another game plan beside general she advised that I became agitated after receiving the two injections. She was unsure as to which med caused it either the Versed or propofol

Back