• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Black hole?

D

DDK

I noticed this "spot" on my tooth/gum line a couple of weeks ago. I thought something was stuck up there,, or it was a stain, etc. It is still there. Tooth and gum dont hurt or have sensitivity... I took a picture... it looks like a hole....

I am freaking out. It's my top tooth that is right next to my front tooth. Any ideas what this is.. what caused this? What can I do? I did use the water pick a couple of times before I noticed this black spot. Could that have caused this? I included a pic..

I am having severe anxiety.. please help!

Attachments

Niall Neeson

Niall Neeson

Verified dentist
Hi DDK,

Thanks for the pic. The photo is helpful but it’s still not enough to know if the tooth needs a filling or not.

It may be a cavity/ decay and need a filling.
It may be in the early stages of the decay process and not necessarily need a filling yet.
Or it may be staining and not involve a decay process at all.

It will need assessed and as it is on a root surface it’s probably best to have it looked at sooner rather than later. It’s worth knowing that even if it does need attention it will likely be a reasonably straightforward, small white filling.

For now to help protect it, continue to keep it clean, limit and sugar intake between meals and use a fluoride toothpaste (and just spit rather than rinse after brushing).

Everything will be ok.

All the best,

Niall

D

DDK

Thank you! My dentist office is closed for the holiday, but I was able to make an appt. for tuesday morning.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. It really helped with my anxiety. It is still there, but, it is at a much lowered level.

Niall Neeson

Niall Neeson

Verified dentist
Great stuff! 👍