• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Black hole?

D

DDK

I noticed this "spot" on my tooth/gum line a couple of weeks ago. I thought something was stuck up there,, or it was a stain, etc. It is still there. Tooth and gum dont hurt or have sensitivity... I took a picture... it looks like a hole....

I am freaking out. It's my top tooth that is right next to my front tooth. Any ideas what this is.. what caused this? What can I do? I did use the water pick a couple of times before I noticed this black spot. Could that have caused this? I included a pic..

I am having severe anxiety.. please help!

Attachments

• 20210116_182919.jpg
    20210116_182919.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210116_174513.jpg
    20210116_174513.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 20
Hi DDK,

Thanks for the pic. The photo is helpful but it’s still not enough to know if the tooth needs a filling or not.

It may be a cavity/ decay and need a filling.
It may be in the early stages of the decay process and not necessarily need a filling yet.
Or it may be staining and not involve a decay process at all.

It will need assessed and as it is on a root surface it’s probably best to have it looked at sooner rather than later. It’s worth knowing that even if it does need attention it will likely be a reasonably straightforward, small white filling.

For now to help protect it, continue to keep it clean, limit and sugar intake between meals and use a fluoride toothpaste (and just spit rather than rinse after brushing).

Everything will be ok.

All the best,

Niall

Thank you! My dentist office is closed for the holiday, but I was able to make an appt. for tuesday morning.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. It really helped with my anxiety. It is still there, but, it is at a much lowered level.

Great stuff! ?

Back