• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Black line under tooth and other worries

478T

Hello everyone,

I am 25 years old
Its been about 7 years since I have been to the dentist and I am about to make an appointment soon but I have some concerns. On one of my bottom teeth, I have a thin black line running under the tooth. I'm assuming this is hardened tartar but I'm still worried about it. Plus I have two older metal fillings in my back teeth and one of those teeth have some small cavities in them.

As usual, I freak out about everything but other than those two things, I may have some cavities in other teeth but I have no pain in my mouth. I brush my teeth 3 times a day. I just have a fear that they will say I need extensive treatment. But then again it may not be that bad. I think a really good cleaning and a few fillings will set me right but you never know. I fear that they will come and say I need a root canal or crown or something.
I just need my fears assuaged.

Thanks,

It's easy to fear the worst, but the worst is almost never the case. :) If your issues were bad, you'd probably have pain and more visible decay, so you shouldn't fear too much.

And as for root canals and crowns, nowadays they're really not any worse than a filling, they just take longer. They certainly shouldn't be painful.

It's good that you're going to make an appointment. The best way to avoid lengthy treatments is to stay on top everything. It's also good that you brush regularly - try floss too, that will help with tartar build-up.

You've got this. :)

Okay. Thank you for your response. I'm still worried about extensive treatment. The same as when you take your car in for a simple oil change and find out a bunch of stuff now.

The fear is somewhat mitigated by the fact that I have good dental insurance which I just recently got through my employer.

I stil have a nagging fear that I will have to have a root canal or a crown for no rational reason at all. I have some cavities but I don't have any pain and no noticeable sign of tooth decay.

Also with regard to the two filling I have in my back teeth. Are those dangerous over the long term or is my anxiety going into overdrive? They cause no pain and look normal but I always overblow things when it comes to things like this.

Last edited:
Just an update:
I'm still trying to get an appointment to see a dentist but this particular dentist is booked so I am on a waiting list. This dentist is really really good temperamentally and technically.

I'm still worried about my first appointment. The X-ray in particular. I keep thinking they will find something bad. I have no pain in my teeth and brush 3 times a day but I still feel like the worst will happen. I'm also worried about my two filling I have in my back teeth. They haven't given me issues but I still fear that there will be some issue with them.

Back