• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Black on my gumline bottom teeth

B

bioflame

I hope someone can help me figure out what is going on. i noticed a blackness on my gumline area near the roots of my bottom front teeth.....I havent been for a cleaning in 15 years. Has decay gone into the roots of my teeth? If so, can my teeth be saved? I am in no pain, no symptoms.
Im a chickensh** when it comes to the dentist. My gums are pink, no bleeding or swelling.

I also have COPD, which means I have trouble breathing, and scares me to go for any dental/medical procedures.
Will I lose my teeth? Im 60 yrs old. Thanks for any advice.....

Last edited:
S

Stress Doc

Account Closed
Hello bioflame:

What you describing sounds like tartar on the teeth, which can be black or darker in color. A good cleaning will get rid of it. It sounds like your teeth are in good shape.

I am sure with a cleaning and check out you will be fine.

Blessings :D

B

bioflame

Thank you for your quick response! So maybe there is hope for me...
May I ask what are the signs of tooth decay below the gumline?

Thanks again

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
It's pretty rare to get decay below the gumline on the lower front teeth, sounds a lot more like tartar build up.

B

bioflame

Gordon,
Thank you dear for making me feel better :) I so appreciate