• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bleeding 9 days post tooth extraction

B

braiiins

I had my two lower wisdom teeth and all four bicuspids extracted 9 days ago (February 19). Everything went ok, recovery a little rough but no real problems. Followed all care instructions. Today I was brushing my teeth with the soft baby toothbrush I got to be able to reach all areas of my mouth while my jaw was sore. I ran the brush gently over the upper right bicuspid socket like I've done every day without a problem when it started bleeding. Stopped the bleeding with some gauze - it wasn't terribly heavy, but it has me worried.

Info that may be relevant - that is the only socket that caused me mild pain, and the gum around that area has been somewhat sensitive and a bit torn up. I also chewed my first full meal last night (pasta with sauce). And probably not relevant but the thought of sneezing had me nervous this whole time (don't laugh!) and I sneezed for the first time since the extractions a few minutes before brushing my teeth.

Any thoughts? Should I be worried about what I'm eating again or about dry socket again?

I dont know that you should "brush" the sockets.
You may be dislodging the clots there causing the bleeding, though I could be mistaken.

Rinsing with salt water immediatley after you eat/drink should suffice.

Called the oral surgeon... not sure I like what they said... to continue gently brushing over the extraction site like they said before and I've been doing and that a little bit of bleeding from it is normal since they are still technically open wounds.

I'm thinking, like you said Audio.Amour, that the salt water rinse will be enough, on top of irrigating with the syringe to get the food out. I'm really nervous about dislodging the clot now...

Still very worried about all this...

If you still have trouble being a "bleeder" ;) and all.
Black tea bags will help, the tannins in the tea help blood to clot.
Just soak them in warm water and hold it like gauze over the sockets.:)

Good idea, any tea bag will do the job, nothing expensive required.

Yup, I'll actually vouch for this remedy as I used it last week to deal with an abcess temporarly until I could get into the TDC (Troop Dental Clinic). We got different ways of doing things i nthe Army.

Thanks for the tip! Haven't had any further bleeding but I'll definitely keep it in mind. I always have tea in the house!

Back