• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Blood clot fell out

K

Kings20

I had my 2 left wisdom teeth pulled yesterday morning at 10. I kept gauze on till around 6 when bleeding stopped and everything seemed fine till this morning when I got up and not only was I bleeding but chunks of the blood clot came out and one piece was even stuck on the molar in front. I bite on gauze again but now I'm extremely worried about getting dry socket. Is there anything I can do or is it too late already to stop it?

Also I was giving penicillin which I have taken numerous times in my life and never had a reaction however I noticed today my arms and chest were red and warm, I called the pharmacist who said to stop taking it as I could be having a reaction. The dentist is supposed to call in another antibiotic later today for me to start, does anyone know what other antibiotics can be given? Either way I plan on getting a allergy test done to see if I really am all the sudden allergic to the penicillin.

edit: The new antibiotic I was given is Clindamycin. Is it normal to be given antibiotics even if I didn't have an infection before the surgery?

Last edited:
I had my 2 left wisdom teeth pulled yesterday morning at 10. I kept gauze on till around 6 when bleeding stopped and everything seemed fine till this morning when I got up and not only was I bleeding but chunks of the blood clot came out and one piece was even stuck on the molar in front. I bite on gauze again but now I'm extremely worried about getting dry socket. Is there anything I can do or is it too late already to stop it?

Also I was giving penicillin which I have taken numerous times in my life and never had a reaction however I noticed today my arms and chest were red and warm, I called the pharmacist who said to stop taking it as I could be having a reaction. The dentist is supposed to call in another antibiotic later today for me to start, does anyone know what other antibiotics can be given? Either way I plan on getting a allergy test done to see if I really am all the sudden allergic to the penicillin.

edit: The new antibiotic I was given is Clindamycin. Is it normal to be given antibiotics even if I didn't have an infection before the surgery?
I'm in the same boat (blood clot gone) and am also panicking about dry socket. I have what looks like food bits in the socket with some grey/green/yellow stuff. I have no idea what I am looking at lol.

As for the antibiotics, most dentists/oral surgeons do prescribe them after an extraction. It is simply to prevent any infection from developing. I've been on antibiotics for 3 months! This week is my last round (thank God).

I'm in the same boat (blood clot gone) and am also panicking about dry socket. I have what looks like food bits in the socket with some grey/green/yellow stuff. I have no idea what I am looking at lol.

As for the antibiotics, most dentists/oral surgeons do prescribe them after an extraction. It is simply to prevent any infection from developing. I've been on antibiotics for 3 months! This week is my last round (thank God).

Wow 3 months of antibiotics is a lot. I have been on them a lot over the past 2 years form numerous dental procedures and other things so I get nervous that I am taking too much. Like I mentioned I was switched to clindamycin to be safe and I am worried cause its very strong and can cause stomach issues. I decided to drink some probiotics to hopefully keep the problems to a minimum.

Back