• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Blood clot - white stuff

M

Mandy3966

Hi there,

Currently on day 3 after extraction of two teeth, and all seemed to be going well until this morning (approx. 70hrs after extraction).... Last night when I went to bed both extraction sites (one on either side of mouth) had a blood clot on each of them, but this morning when I checked, the extraction site that is sore and tender, had no blood clot on it! It had vanished!!! I assume it much have fell off in the night or something.... anyhow, is that too soon for a clot to disappear???? I noticed it about 7hrs ago and as a lot of anxious people on here since then have been waiting for terrible pain to kick in to indicate I have a dry socket! I know its mentioned on here that you are usually clear of a dry socket after 72hrs, but on another site I've read, it says they occur usually 3 to 5 days after the extraction! At the moment though, no pain (touch wood), but still quite tender....
I also wanted to mention the white tissue around the extraction site, I know after reading a lot on this site that the white tissue is perfectly normal and shows healing..... however is it normal for the white stuff to almost cover the entire length of the 3 teeth either side of the extraction site? My gum on almost the entire upper right hand side (I had a pre molar removed) looks like your finger does after a plaster has been on it that has gotten wet, that sort of white. Is this normal?

I know I am probably worried over nothing, but would appreciate any advice as have another 4 days before returning to the dentist ...

Many thanks,
Mandy3966

I got 4 teeth extracted on monday. Two days after, I saw brownish-greyish texture in my socket and now it's gone. I have been rinsing with salt water several times everyday. Now my socket is dark red but I have no clue if it's healing.

Wait for couple of days and see if there is any change. If not, and you are worried, i'd call dentist ;D

Hi Mandy,
I'm not a dentist and not sure about your question regarding whether or not it is too soon to lose the clot. Everyone heals at different rates so it may be hard to say for sure. I will say that if you develop dry socket, you will know it for sure but everything sounds okay for the moment. I would check with your dentist if you are really concerned about it. I honestly can't remember how long I had clots for after I had extractions :confused:...I think I was squeamish at the time and refused to look at it until it had a few days to heal :(. I do remember having lots of that white tissue which no one explained to me at the time and yes, from my experience it was abundant. I had extractions in all 4 corners of my mouth and I felt like that white stuff was taking over my whole mouth at one point.

Back