• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Blood clot

F

fatcat

Hi

I had a lower 2nd premolar (i think that is the name) extracted yesterday. I have this massive worry about dry sockets as I believe I am high risk. I really want to call the dentist go to get them to look at it to check it is healing normally but I don't want to waste their time over my paranoia. Can anyone tell me what the blood clot/extraction site should look like at this point? Should it be level or slightly sunken? When am I 'safe' from the risk of dry socket???

Hi

I had a lower 2nd premolar (i think that is the name) extracted yesterday. I have this massive worry about dry sockets as I believe I am high risk. I really want to call the dentist go to get them to look at it to check it is healing normally but I don't want to waste their time over my paranoia. Can anyone tell me what the blood clot/extraction site should look like at this point? Should it be level or slightly sunken? When am I 'safe' from the risk of dry socket???

Good questions, I had 4 teeth pulled last Friday and they all feel, look different. All have a different degree of a slightly sunken area but the sunken areas are filling in a little more each day- healing I guess. The wisdom tooth site is very weird with sorta bumps on either side of a sunken area. None hurt, nor are draining. I do have a bit of an ache last night and today, well managed by advil, nothing excrutiating.

I've read conflicting information on time period. My oral surgeon's post op instructions said dry socket develops in 3- 5 days, I've read as much as up to 6 days and as little as 48-72 hours? I'm about to get on a plane for work 1000 miles from my surgeon, I sure hope I'm "outta the woods"

RP

Thanks that makes me feel a bit better. Last night the clot was pretty much level with the gum, but now it has sunk a bit. If yours are too I guess it's normal. I had a tooth out before but could never really get a good look at it.

My dentists leaflet says a day or two after extraction but I have seen people say as much as 5-7 days. Maybe it is one of these things that differs from person to person. I hope I don't get it at the weekend.

The vast majority develop after a couple of days so if you've been ok for 3 days I'd say you can assume you are in the clear. The exact level of the clot is not critical. When a dry socket forms the clot is completely absent. The socket appears totally empty.

Thank you for taking time to reply Dr Hirst. That has put my mind at rest. I haven't dared to look at it today but will have a look tomorrow morning (if I look now I will worry all night til I can call the dentist!)
I am a bit worried about my swelling though, doesn't seem to be going anywhere and it wasn't really a difficult extraction. I'm not sure if it's normal, if it hasn't gone down tomorrow I think I'm gonna call them to ask what they think or is it normal to still have swelling at this point (it will be 72 hrs tomorrow morning)?

Back