• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bonded retainer wire issue

M

Marienne

Hi,

I have a little bit of an issue regarding a permanent retainer wire that was bonded to my teeth a couple of months ago. I was using a toothpick and I accidentally put to much pressure on one front tooth and some of the glue popped off (it’s still attatched, just weak) and the wire was pushed outwards. I messed around with it a little and tried to push the wire back in place, however now when I look in the mirror that part of the wire is more distorted/a tiny bit frayed and not the same as it was before. I have already been to my dentist about 6 times in the last few months for other filling issues which I could tell he was annoyed about, so I am absolutely terrified and embarrassed for going back yet again so soon - not to mention the embarrassment of telling him what I did! Any advice on this please? Will it be ok to leave it as is for a while? It still feels comfortable and all but I still get really anxious and paranoid :/

If you've displaced the wire then the dentist needs to check it, sorry. You don't need to tell them what happened, they pop off during chewing sometimes anyway :)

If you've displaced the wire then the dentist needs to check it, sorry. You don't need to tell them what happened, they pop off during chewing sometimes anyway :)

Worked up the courage and called them, they’re clearly annoyed by me as they weren’t very nice over the phone. They told me they would replace it no charge as apparently the glue/cement holding it together is too thin and polished down (which I asked for months ago to feel more comfort) hence why it keeps breaking. They told me I’d need to “cope” with the newness of it and I can’t have it polished.. thought that was generally common really :/

The cement needs to be of a decent thickness to be strong enough to stand up to the forces of chewing. Not much you can do to get round it.

Yeah makes sense. Thanks

Back