• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bone graft/implants

H

Hollyharvey

Hello everyone,
I joined the site in 2008 when I was terrified of having treatment but knew I needed to do something after not going to the dentist for over 2o years. With the help and support of everyone on here I managed to get through my treatment. Although I have remained a little anxious at times I have managed to continue to visit the dentist.

Following this treatment on the top arch I was left with upper right 1, 2,3 and upper left 1 & 2. In addition each side has one back molar No 7?. All of these teeth have root canal fillings and crowns. I also have a partial denture.

In July I started to get a lot of pain in upper right 1, and upper right 2 is a little loose.

I had upper right 1 extracted and a socket preserving bone graft at an appointment early July with a view to having a dental implant.

I have never got on well with the partial denture and so decided to have implants to replace all of the gaps on the top arch.

The plan was to put the implants in upper right 1, 4 & 6 and upper left 4 & 6. Wait three or four months for these to heal, and if I was having problems with the other front teeth (intermittent problems) I would have these extracted, more implants placed and an immediate fixed bridge. The idea being that I would have had these 5 implants in for a while and this would give me a firmer base rather than have all of the teeth extracted and a temporary fixed bridge fitted the same day.

If things were still ok with my existing teeth, I would have a three tooth bridge either side and a crown on upper right 1.

However, things didn't go according to plan at my appointment last Friday.

1. The dentist managed to place the implants in upper right 4 & 6.

2. He could only place one on the left side, I don't know whether this was upper right 4 or 6.

3. He couldn't place an implant in upper right 1 because he didn't like the look of the bone ( don't know if he meant my bone which had grown around it, it looked ok on the scans, or if he meant the bone implant).

One of the main reasons for me going through this is so that I don't have to use a denture, it is really interfering with my quality of life, I just don't have any confidence speaking or eating in public.

I am worried that I will be left with implants at the back and needing a denture still for the one front tooth.

Can I ask the dentists the reasons why the quality of my bone that has grown around the graft may be of a poor quality?

and

If there is usually hope that a fixed bridge can be placed by extracting the other front teeth and placing implants there, even if I then have a denture made up to wear for 6 months or so rather than try to have it done in one day.

I do feel that I don't have much to lose by doing this if I am going to need a partial denture for one tooth and the other teeth are starting to fail.

Thank you

Hollyharvey

Back