• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bone Graft on Existing Implant?

K

Ktooth

I had a dental implant placed in my lower jaw (#18) about a year ago, following extraction and bone graft. Everything was fine until I got the final restoration on my implant ~3 months ago, and ever since, it hurts to chew on it and sometimes throbs randomly. Went back to my oral surgeon last week and had a 3D scan which showed no problems. Oral surgeon said even though nothing is wrong in the X-ray, my pain can’t be discounted.

He said the next step would be to pull back my gums so he could look at the dental implant and how it’s integrated with my bone, and potentially try to pack more bone in. Is it normal to do a bone graft a year after implant placement? Could this actually fix it?

Maybe there's cement under the gum. This is a common problem and may not show up on the x-ray. Persistent pain with good bone then I would flap and investigate. Good luck

Maybe there's cement under the gum. This is a common problem and may not show up on the x-ray. Persistent pain with good bone then I would flap and investigate. Good luck

thanks for your response! Could there still be an issue with cement on a screw retained crown? That’s what I have on the implant.

No if you have screw retained there is no cement. This also means your dentist worked a little harder to give you that result.
I would check the bite very carefully. Perhaps your dentist can have you bite on bite registration material and see if you hit on that implant. Also check to see if it hits when you slide your jaw from side to side.

Back