• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bone grafting from hip to lower jaw

C

cassandra

I have a ramus frame in lower jaw over which I wear a denture - having problems with pain around implants and dentist has told me bone quality is extremely poor and says the only way to build up bone is by donation from hip. At present I am having to use painkillers every day to cope with my problems. I would welcome having the appliance removed if I could have bone built up so I could wear an ordinary removable denture. Has anyone had experience of this as it will drive me crazy until the matter is sorted.

Bone grafting is fairly common in implant dentistry, but not normally from the hip. Bone is taken from the hip or ribs during major reconstructive surgery (for cancer treatment for example), so it is a fairly well proven technique.

Is everything OK with the implants supporting the ramus frame, the problems you're having would suggest that the implants are failing, if this is the case, then a lot of bone will be lost and grafting would definitely be necessary.

Back