• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bone Grafts?

M

mrsames77

Hello!
My 20 year old daughter is having all 4 of her wisdom teeth extracted Aug.16. The oral surgeon recommended bone grafts on the bottom ones to "aid in healing". Our insurance doesn't cover them and they will cost almost as much as our part of the total extraction cost ($700).
My husband and mom have had all of their wisdom teeth pulled years ago and didn't have grafts. I had 2 of mine pulled and no grafts.
My question is are they necessary? I don't want to tell the oral surgeon not to do them if my daughter needs them but I don't want to do it if it really isn't needed. That $700 would be useful elsewhere!!
Thanks so much!
Jennifer

Seldom done. May make sense if there is no bone between the lower wisdom tooth and the adjacent tooth.
Typically at 16 not an issue but I'm not seeing the patient. If this doctor routinely recommends a graft then I would discuss wasting money during treatment.

Seldom done. May make sense if there is no bone between the lower wisdom tooth and the adjacent tooth.
Typically at 16 not an issue but I'm not seeing the patient. If this doctor routinely recommends a graft then I would discuss wasting money during treatment.

Thank you! I am still doing research but am leaning more towards NOT getting them. My daughter says she is fine with whatever I decide. I appreciate your reply!

Ask the dentist for a reason why these are necessary and have him show you the x-rays and specifically point out things to you. It will help make a well-informed decision

I answered this in your other thread on this, but comfortdentist knows his stuff. :butterfly:

Back