• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

bone grafts

T

topekafrankie

After 38 years of no dental visits, I finally went and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I feared. However, I do have to have 2 teeth surgically extracted that had broken off, and the dentist recommended implants to help retain the jawbone in the area. He said this would require bone grafts to complete. What all does this entail? Where do they get the bone from? How long is recovery? I have the consultation scheduled but it's at another clinic that I've not been to. I'm starting to panic again. For the record, I'm not in any pain now. I do want the spaces fixed where the teeth broke. Are implants the best way to go? My dentist said there wasn't enough left of those two teeth for him to do anything with. I don't have any other cavities.

Hi topekafrankie,

If none of your other teeth have cavities then implants may well be the best way to go. The alternative would be a removable denture or a bridge which would be damaging to the adjacent teeth. However, the dentist should really have explained the pros and cons of each approach before referring you for implants.
The bone grafts in this situation vary from adding a some particles of real or artificial bone (a minor and pretty painless procedure) to taking small piece of your own bone form one area of your mouth and implanting it into the area where the implants are to be placed ( can be rather sore for a couple of weeks after). The most extreme type of bone grafting is where some of your hip bone is used but this is never the case with a small two implant case.
The most likely scenario is that a small amount of bone particles will be placed around the implants when they are placed and you will hardly be aware it is being done.
I am sure the implant dentist will explain it all to you at the consultation.
Best of luck

Lincoln

He may very well have gone over pros and cons. I was certain that he was going to tell me I had to have all my teeth pulled, and I think I stopped listening when he said "no cavities".

How long after the extraction until they can do the implants?

Back