• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

bone loss question

N

ntp711

After 25 years, I finally went to a dentist in February.  I can't tell you what a relief it's been, not to have this sick feeling of dread :)in the back of my mind constantly!
My gums were in very bad condition, but after extensive planing and then a lot of (OK, obsessive) home care on my part, they are now much firmer, no bleeding and a healthy pink color.  I had 3 broken molars removed and am trying to decide how to replace them - mostly due to financial constraints.  Also, my front teeth looked bad because they had drifted and there was a huge space between the upper ones.  The dentist used bonding to close the gap and it looks great!
The dentist has been encouraging and said I'd made huge improvements, but then once in a while he'll mention that it would be unwise to spend a lot of money, say for veneers rather than bonding, because there's been some bone loss and I could end up losing the teeth anyway.
So my question is:  if there is bone loss does that mean the teeth are pretty much doomed no matter how diligently I take care of them?  I've read about bone grafting, but have a feeling it would be very expensive.
One more question:  part of my little ritual is using a proxybrush in the evenings that I dip in Listerine before inserting between my teeth.  This makes them feel really clean, but I've since read that Listerine may be detrimental.  I've stopped rinsing with it but is it harmful to use it in this way?
Thanks for your wonderful website, it's helped me very much!

Hi there, I don't know what help I could be to the majority or your question, but in regards to the comment on Listerine I have read that Listerine can be more harmfull than helpful to people with gum problems for a number of reasons. For one thing, the alcohol in Listerine can actually dry out your gums and make things worse (on occasion, especially if used in excess) ... I use Crest Pro Health (there's no alcohol in it) and my gums have really become alot healthier. I hope this helps and that everything goes well for you.

I'm not sure if there are different types of bone graphing or what type of bone loss you have, but I had bone loss in a tooth because it had a big trauma many years ago, followed by a fouled up root canal. I since had 3 total root canals to that tooth & 2 bone graphs. My exrays showed over the years that the bone loss had stopped getting worse, but it was too much to even consider saving the tooth after the veneers went. I ended up having that one tooth extracted and a bridge of crowns made recently.

Technology has come a long way & perhaps there is a new technic to the bone graphs by now (mine was done in '91).

I would venture to say that if the bone loss is minimal than you have many years left with that tooth if they are able to veneer them.
All in all, I would get a second opinion and a third if necessary. It all depends on how much bone loss there is.

Sorry if I confused you rather than helped. :confused:

Well done you :jump: :jump: :jump:!!!

I'd rather leave the actual questions to a dentist, but one thing to consider is this: veneers (an elective cosmetic procedure) are pretty pricey, and in the long run, you might be better off spending money on implants (with bone grafts, if necessary) for replacing missing teeth, if you are deemed a good candidate for them.

How much loss of support has there been (if your dentist told you) and how old are you? Both these are factors affecting the long term prognosis of your teeth). If you smoke it will make things worse too.

If your plaque removal is as good as you say, then there shouldn't be much further deterioration.

I'm 45 and the dentist hasn't told me how much bone loss has occurred. I don't smoke, though I did until about 4 years ago. The first time I saw the dentist and had x-rays done I was told they'd probably have to pull a lot of my teeth, but after the root planing and rinsing with periodex the dentist decided there was enough improvement and the loose teeth had firmed up enough that no teeth had to be pulled.
Also, thanks for the advice regarding mouth rinses.

It sounds like you may have things stabilised now, if you can keep it up the way you are doing then it should stay like that permanently. Just don' t go back to the ciggies!

Back