• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bone remodelling - grateful for info

R

Raku1

Hi, I'm curious about something I read on previous posts. (The background is: I had an upper molar extracted 5 weeks ago. My gum on the cheek side is still slightly swollen, tender and sometimes achey, though very very gradually getting better. Niall Neeson gave some very kind advice on this - thanks again Niall!)
Looking through old posts, especially from Gordon, one explanation that comes up a lot is "bone remodelling". What exactly is that, and why can it be so uncomfortable? Can it really go on for a couple of months? Does age and size of extraction make a difference? I'm mid-50s and the molar was very large (and cracked, hence extracted).
Would be so grateful for advice! Thanks.

When the tooth has been extracted, your body helpfully removes the bone which was supporting the tooth and recycles it. The process takes years to complete, not months, but things gradually slow down after the first 4-6 months and it becomes less noticeable.
It's uncomfortable because there's a lot of cells involved and a bit of inflammation (why we don't fully understand yet)
Increased age makes it a bit slower, size of extracted tooth does too, more bone to remove, extraction due to pre-existing bone loss such as through gum disease speeds it up and so on.

Thank you Gordon!

Back