• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Boomers journal

B

boomer47

Hi all,

Well it's exactly one week before I have all my teeth extracted. I'm starting to get a little nervous now. :scared: I am waiting until my childrens graduation on the 14th of may, pick up my dentures on the 15th and surgery is on the 16th. (19) teeth in all. Has anyone had multiple extractions? I've gotten over my needle phobia because I had an operation years ago and I had an IV for about a week. My biggest fear is not waking up. (l0l) next comes bleeding to death :censored: Then comes the pain. I'm getting immediate dentures put in. I'm afraid that they'll make my mouth so big along with the swelling, that I won't be able to swallow!

I must say I do like the dental surgeon who is going to do the work. If I hadn't jumbed out the dental chair 25 years ago, It would all be done by now ;D Oh well, I have to stay in the chair this time, because I already paid for my dentures!!! I am so glad that I found this site. I also have posted in different areas of this site. One thing I have learned is that the most important thing you can do is go out there and interview 3 or 4 dentists until you find one that you feel you can work with. It doesen't take all the fear away, but it certainly gives you some "control". When you have some control you're not as frightened.

I'm going to try to control my breathing when I get there. I used to have Panic attacks (had trouble leaving the house for 5 years) . My therapist taught me how to calm myself down with breathing exercises and "picturing in you mind, a place where you would feel relaxed -like at the beach- fishilng- things like that.

I have to tell you, it really does help a great deal. Don't get me wrong, I'm as nervous as the next person but I have learned somewhat to not to create my own problems. I survived "agoraphobia" and an operation when I was six months pregnant, so I have to try to keep the courage going next week.

Of course, I'm very brave here, because I still have a whole week to go. ;) :scared:

Since I'm having so much dental work done, I'll keep posting and let you know how it goes. Maybe it will help someone else.

Good Luck and prayers for all

Hi All :hidesbehindsofa:

I picked up my dentures today. My appointment for 19 extractions and immediate dentures is tommorrow I doubt wether, I'lll be able to post for a few days. But I want to let everyone know how my sedation goes, as soon as I can. :scared: Good luck to everyone else. I hope you find the support you need to smile again. Untile next time :censored: Take care.

All the best for tomorrow :thumbsup:!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery :grouphug:

;D Yeah! I Did it!

Went to the oral surgeon at 9:00 A.M. this morning. He was waiting for me and in very good humor. He said you're going to be fine!!.

They took me to the room and sat me in a chair. Checked my blood pressure while my husband looked on. He inserted my IV ( Versed and Propophol) and I was out
and awake in 45 Minutes 19 teeth extracted and immediate dentures inserted. I walked out of the office own my own legs. He did such a great job!! Don't remember anything. Got to get some rest now, will post tommorrow.

Hi all,

This is day two after 19 extractions and immediate dentures. I was totally amazed when I awoke from "conscious sedation". I felt nothing- no pain, no nausea and I was totally awake for my ride home. I had very little bleeding (only the gauze that they put in my mouth was used. Even when the numbing wore off, I only used two pain pills all night and the pain was very minimal.

Today I went outside with my new dentures and the neighbors were amazed at my reovery.

IV sedation is wonderful and had no side effects. Anyone who needs it will really wish that they had done it earlier. It felt like I was only sedated for two minutes.

If Anyone who has any doubts about this method of treatment, they should count on this testimony. I was a dental phobic for about 40 years. The Oral surgeon couldn't believe that I had never had any treatment for so long. I can't tell you enough how the decision to go will probably be the best decision you will make in a long time. I can' stress enough that you must find a dentist who's personality you like along with his credentials.

I will post again tommorrow.

Thanks for all the support

Boomer,
Congrats. Doesn't it feel great. I just had three teeth extracted on thee 16th as well under iv sedation after years of dental phobia. Just wondering how recovery is going? I feel a little worse tonight, the second night, then I did the first. Maybe I did too much today. Do you have any more swelling than you originally did? Despite all this, again, it is such a relief isn't it!!!
Cami

Dear CD,

Congrats to you. :jump: Today is the third day after. I was a little weak today and a little more sleepy. I guess I did too much yesterday. I have also heard that the 2nd and third day are the worst of all. Although my worst is not al that bad. :)

I had to take both my dentures out today to clean them and rinse my mouth with warm salt water. I was really scared of taking them out and putting them back in.

When I removed them I was presently surprised that there really wasen't any blood on them at all. My oral surgeon really did a good job. I was able to put them back in without any problem. Just a little nervous. My recovery seems to be going along well (thanks for asking) No pain, a little throbbing. Just using (ibuprophen) My grandson cried (he's two) because I wouldn't give him my teeth(lol) Just so you now I'm a young 59 yrs old. I go back to the surgeon to check on my progress on tuesday (exactly one week from extractions) Living on Milk, yogurt, soup, peanut butter, mashed potatoes & gravy, cookie dipped in milk, anything to big to eat like pasta, my husband puts in the food processor on the "liquify" mode (lol) I also read that it is good to take l000mg a day of Vitamin C for the healing process. I am also thankful that I no longer have this hanging over my head, it's such a relief. Not that dentures are great, but it sure beats the smile that I had. I hope you are healing well also. I'm hoping to feel a little better tommorrow. I think rest, rest, rest is very important for the first three days. Does anyone know how long before you can try to chew something normal, like a piece of bread without it hurting your gums??

Good luck all. Try to post tommorrow- courage, just a little courage & a good dentist is all you need

Hi All,

It is my fifth day since surgery & immediate dentures. Thanks for all the support. If I hadn't found this site, I might be sitting here with no smile.

I tell everyone that I have lips like "Angelina Jolie". (lol) My upper denture has given new life to my lip. It has also iliminated the fine lines between my nose and upper lip. No don't go out and get dentures. It's just that they can make a big difference in your appearance if you're top teeth were broken or missing. My gums are sore, but my dentures are starting to feel like they have always been there. When I go back to the oral surgeon, I'm going to tell him that I'm smiling pretty, now can I just use them to eat :drool:. Some hints on eating: Ready made mashed potatoes heated with "Cheese" that comes in a jar is good for lunch or dinner. It took me a half hour to eat one soft boiled egg. :o

Tuesday I will ask the surgeon when I can put more pressure on my gums and step up my food a little bit. Anyone who may be lurking around this website, but afraid to post, please realize we're all friends here and want to answer your questions and help in anyway we can. Everything begins with baby steps. The administrators of this site really care about you

Take care and wishing you all well.

Back