• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Botox for TMJ Pain ?

• Thread starter sfchristiangirl
  • Start date
S

sfchristiangirl

Hi.

I've had TMJ pain for many years in both the upper and lower jaw. It's been particularly bad recently.

I've been reading on the internet for possible treatments. I've tried all of them except for Botox. This last month was the first time I've heard of this treatment.

There is a dentist in my area that offer Botox for TMJ pain.

Is this a safe treatment? Is this a potentially effective treatment?

Thank you.

Eliza

I’m not a dentist. From what I have read, Botox is not yet considered as an approved solution for TMJD by the FDA so any treatment with Botox would be considered experimental. That also means side effects and risks are not well documented. Studies in animals have mix reviews and in some cases the Botox caused bone loss.

I’ve never carried it out myself but I’ve had some patients report benefit from doing this. As always I’d suggest discuss with the professional in detail and weigh up the pros and cons, risks and benefits to make a fully informed decision for you, personally.

Back