• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Braces and possible abscess

T

Tiffany32

Hi! I’ve had a lot of work done on my teeth in the last couple of years, and finally got braces a few months ago. After my last tightening (I had had a sinus infection during the tightening)a couple of teeth kept hurting more than what’s considered normal. It’s a dull pain, gums are puffy, and the pain goes up into my cheek off and on. Could this pain be from gum abscess, or root infection? It doesn’t hurt when I bite down, just when touched from the side. I’m trying to brace myself for news of a root canal or extraction, because I’m not going to handle it well. I’ve never had a root canal. And I’ve only had my wisdom teeth extracted. It’s hard enough dealing with my problems, and to have this too is tough. I also have tmj, so daily jaw pain (so far the braces have made it worse). I have an appointment tomorrow, but I’m completely freaked out and trying to maintain my composure until then. Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Try not to think of the worst scenario, I know, easier said then done. If you are doing braces, I'm sure your orthodontist and dentist made sure that your teeth are in good health. Wait and see what they say at tomorrow's appointment.

Thanks Geos. Yeah they did many x-rays. I practically live at the dentist’s office. ?‍♀️ I guess that’s why I’m having a hard time with this, it came out of nowhere. And like many people in this forum, I’m obsessive about tooth care, floss every day, brush twice and use mouthwash. I’ll keep your advice in mind. Very much appreciated.

I am not a dentist, but could it be due to the sinus infection? When I get one (have one right now, in fact), my upper teeth and jaw hurt and feel slightly swollen.

Also, when I had braces, sometimes just the tightening would make my teeth super sensitive and painful. Not every time, just when things were really moving, I guess.

If you just had x rays done recently, an infection would have shown up. Abscess comes from infection.

I hope that’s the case mountain momma! I know it comes from infection, I’m so careful about cleaning I don’t know how an abscess would have happened. Hopefully I get good news. You know when you’re used to hearing bad news at each appointment it’s hard to be optimistic. ?

I hope that’s the case mountain momma! I know it comes from infection, I’m so careful about cleaning I don’t know how an abscess would have happened. Hopefully I get good news. You know when you’re used to hearing bad news at each appointment it’s hard to be optimistic. ?

Good luck! I know exactly what you mean about expecting bad news, unfortunately.

Yes! I so appreciate your posts, they’ve helped me settle down before a procedure, and I feel so much less alone. My appointment is at 4:15, I’ll post about my results in case someone else has the same issues later.

Glad I could help. I hope it turns out to be something simple that puts your mind at ease.

I hope so!! And one more thing, since I know you have experience in this area.. trying to think this through. Tooth #14 is what’s bothering me..if they say I need a root canal, I was considering just having an extraction, then after braces getting an implant. I know several people who have had issues after a root canal, and the cost would be around the same. Maybe an implant would even cost less if I need retreatment on a canal, etc. But overall it seems I’d likely have less stress with an implant. Right? ? I’m 34, I’ve had four kids and after having them my teeth have bit the dust. I’m completely accepting of it now! Just want to bid them good-bye one by one with the least amount of pain, stress and money as possible. ?‍♀️

I hope so!! And one more thing, since I know you have experience in this area.. trying to think this through. Tooth #14 is what’s bothering me..if they say I need a root canal, I was considering just having an extraction, then after braces getting an implant. I know several people who have had issues after a root canal, and the cost would be around the same. Maybe an implant would even cost less if I need retreatment on a canal, etc. But overall it seems I’d likely have less stress with an implant. Right? ? I’m 34, I’ve had four kids and after having them my teeth have bit the dust. I’m completely accepting of it now! Just want to bid them good-bye one by one with the least amount of pain, stress and money as possible. ?‍♀️

Root canals didn't work for me, but they do work for most people. If the cost is the same, I would definitely go for an implant though. I have one right now, and am getting another in September. I haven't gotten the crown yet...am waiting until the surgeon tests it at the end of June. It was a little more expensive for me, but not a lot. With my first root canal, I spent more than the cost of an implant on the root canal, and an apicoectomy to try to save it. I wish I would have just extracted it. My dental insurance covers half of a root canal and crown, but covers nothing for implants. But my insurance was maxed, so the difference in cost was negligible, which is why I went straight for the extraction and implant when another molar went bad.

Thank you! I’m following you so I see your updates, I’m interested to see how the implant crown works for you! Hope it leaves you stress-free for a little while. You’ve been through so much. I’m starting to save for an implant, I have a missing molar to replace.
I just got out of the orthodontist, they took off my wire and did an X-ray, didn’t see anything on the X-ray. Which is great news, but my tooth and head still hurts and my cheek is burning and throbbing. :( So I might have to see my dentist. We live in the country and my husband is ticked we drove an hour away for no resolution. :) My dentist is an hour in the other direction. They left my wire off and hopefully that helps the pain. Will update if I find anything else out in case someone else has the same problems.

Nothing on the x ray is a great sign, though! I understand about living in the country, too. Luckily my dentist is only 20 minutes away, but the endodontist and oral surgeon are 45 minutes away, more if there is traffic. My daughter's orthodontist's office is also 45 minutes away, but he does come to the small town close to us once a week, so I try to schedule her appointments on those days.

Back