• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Braces in college..... : (

M

McFieldBryan

I am going to receive jaw surgery to correct my overbite. As a requirement, I have to wear braces for a year to prepare my teeth for the surgery. Invisalign is not an option, as it will not work for the surgery.

I am devastated by this and crushed. After I received the news my emotions reached an all time low.

What are your thoughts on a young man wearing braces for a year in college? Is this as bad as I think it is?

Hello:

Braces are so common now I do not think anyone will even notice. I lecture in the nursing program at a University in our area. I see many people with braces that are older. My attorney (46 years old) had braces put on last year. I have seen many business professionals opt for this in their 30s and 40s. This is done to correct bite problems or for totally cosmetic reasons.

People are much less observant than you think. Cosmetic procedures are very acceptable among adults, at least in the USA.

Once you are comfortable with having them you will notice so is everybody else. Smile with confidence!:)

Hi, I was 27/28 when I wore braces on my teeth. There are more and more adults now wearing braces and I am sure there will be many others in college wearing braces.

I am 44 and have had braces to correct my bite for a month now - I have discovered that I take alot more notice of them than other people do!

:)

Back