• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bridge question re anchor tooth with a cavity

K

KatieH

Hi-
I had an extraction last year and I am now considering a bridge. One of the anchor teeth on either side of the gap has a large cavity in it. I was wondering if I can get it filled and then have the bridge done later this year after I've saved up for it.
I don't want the cavity to get worse but it seems like the dentist I saw is pushing me to everything done at once.
He never addressed whether its OK to use a tooth with a filling in it as an anchor tooth.

It's OK to use a filled tooth as an abutment tooth (proper name for it :geek:) depends on the general health of the tooth but in general, I'd rather use one that's already filled than a completely virgin tooth.
Your idea is a good one, get the cavity fixed and then assuming it's all still stable then do the bridge later.

It'll cost a little bit more than just doing the bridge straight away but it's how I would do it.

It's OK to use a filled tooth as an abutment tooth (proper name for it :geek:) depends on the general health of the tooth but in general, I'd rather use one that's already filled than a completely virgin tooth.
Your idea is a good one, get the cavity fixed and then assuming it's all still stable then do the bridge later.

It'll cost a little bit more than just doing the bridge straight away but it's how I would do it.
Thank you so much! You have put my mind at ease:)

Back