• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with an extreme fear of the dentist or dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broke college student, need some help please *picture*

A

anonymous27

20090214150538449xm1.jpg

20090214150743281wb3.jpg

Hello to the dentists, I'm a broke college student that has no money to visit the dentist.

There has been a steady problem on that tooth, and it has been slowly progressing to this point. The giant vain (or whatever it is) on the gum of that tooth used to hurt very bad to brush. Slowly it progress for about two years until the gum regress and you can see the yellow part revealing. That yellow part is very tender. I would not say it hurts when I push on it, but it does not feel very good. I can definitely tell there is some nerve under there.
What does all the dentists on here think it is? Will it get worse?

Also, my gum used to bleed whenever I brush, but now it doesn't anymore. However, it still bleeds when I floss.
20090214150455367vo6.jpg

Is there any type of gum regression on the bottom jaw at all? I try to take care of my teeth, brush after every meal, floss and listerine every night.

I also used to be a heavy bruxer until I started wearing a mouth guard to sleep. Do you think one day I can stop wearing it and the bruxism will stop? I have been wearing it for about 6 months now to sleep.
20090214153026988us0.jpg
20090214153045784pz9.jpg
20090214153134385zz6.jpg
20090214153232512pm6.jpg

20090214153341294on6.jpg

Can you tell if there are any significant wear on my teeth?

Last edited:
K

Karenw

I'm not a dentist so can't comment on the questions you've asked but I have to say from a lay-perspective, your teeth look excellent and I wish they were mine!!!!! ;)

Zzzdentist

Zzzdentist

Verified dentist
Having a little bit of Gorgonzola with crackers!
It sounds like you had a frenum that attached to the area, and sometimes they seem to create gum problems with recession. The yellow area could be softened, exposed dentin due to surface decay. It's best to have it checked out and repaired if that's the case. If the surface is fine, you could just consult your dentist or a periodontist to see if they can remove the frenum pull and do a tissue graft to cover the area up.

I do see some areas of wear, but they aren't too bad as far as I can see. It's hard to say when or if you can stop using the guard, but if you find that you aren't grinding any more then you could try it. The only problem is that if you don't wear it for a lengthy period of time, you may not be able to go back to it as sometimes the fit doesn't match anymore.

The lack of bleeding on brushing is a good sign and indicates that the gums are healthier, but the bleeding on flossing still shows that there is some inflammation in between the teeth. After regular cleanings, that should subside if you continue your brushing and flossing.

A

anonymous27

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll try to come up with some money to go to the periodontist soon to have it check out.

The gum adjacent to that area is very soft, squishy and almost purple.

I noticed that all my gum doesn't bleed much anymore, if at all when I floss.
I have never had a cleaning in my entire life. I had been to the dentist only once when I was 6 to remove some molars and put in some filling.

Would the exposed dentin become a problem?

In the case that it is absolutely necessary to do a tissue graft, how much do you think it will cost? I'm averted to going down that route because tissue graft is a pretty big deal, if the problem isn't going to get worse then I would rather not touch it for now.
There is a dental school on my campus, in your experience, do you think dental students are experience enough to do this procedure?

Edit: The dentist can correct me on this, from what I have read so far, it seems that I will need a frenectomy to remove the frenum (that white thread). It's tugging on my gum really tight, and I can feel it right now. This is most likely what is causing the gum recession. Then I'm going to need a tissue graft to cover up that area. In the end, it would be quite a sum that I don't have :(
Would it be too late to buy dental insurance now?

Last edited:
Zzzdentist

Zzzdentist

Verified dentist
Having a little bit of Gorgonzola with crackers!
The exposed dentin can be a problem if it's sensitive, if it gets eroded over time, and if it decays. Sometimes it can be fine to leave if it doesn't bother you and if it doesn't experience any of the above problems.

I don't think that dental students do frenectomies and tissue grafts as that is more in the area of periodontists or dentists who have taken further periodontal surgery courses. It might be a case for dentists taking their periodontal specialty degree so you could check with your university to see if they offer that speciality and whether that department is accepting patients.

A

anonymous27

So I had the procedure done with a periodontist in my city. The thing is, it looks like he just sew a piece of tissue right where the frenum used to be.

I can't see the yellow dentin, but the gum is still quite unnaturally receded.
Meaning I see a /\ where the gum is instead of a gentle curve. This is only day 3 after the surgery so I cannot tell how much of the dentin will be exposed once the healing is complete.
I talked to the periodontist and he said that the tissue is only there to prevent further recession, not root coverage, which is a much more expensive procedure. Now I was under the impression that root coverage is a given when you do a tissue graft, otherwise I just went and mutilated my gum for nothing (further recession be damned). Further recession was not a reason why I did it. I did the procedure to cover up the root/dentin so it's not susceptible to cavity and other nightmare.
Can a dentist here enlighten me on this matter? Will the dentin become exposed once the healing complete? The grafted tissue is a slightly above where the dentin begin so I do not know why I cannot see it. Some of my old gum or stitches might be covering that part. I just pray that the dentin does not become expose once everything heals, otherwise $800 for nothing.

Here is a crude representation of everything
tooth.jpg

You see why I'm not satisfy? I watched all the gum graft procedure on youtube and they all look completely normal once healed with a normal curve gum. This thing is still too receded and maybe the dentin will even be exposed once everything heal. I don't see how the donor tissue can magically grow downward and cover up everything. He also cut the donor tissue very close to the molars and right now, they are very sensitive. I hope that this won't be the case once it heals, but it seems I might even have more problems than I started out with.

Last edited:
A

anonymous27

My worst nightmare has come true:cry:

The stitches has came loose and the white tissue has fallen off.
It looks terrible underneath.
A small corner has fuse with my gum, but it's over in the adjacent tooth, not where it should be. The main part has torn off and I'm doing my best to keep it on there till the appointment with my periodontist. I don't think it will do much, should I throw it away?

It turns out that the periodontist did a free gingival graft instead of a connective tissue graft. Does CTG usually cost more than FGG?

This is turning out to be a nightmare. I have more problems now than when I started out. This is what I deserve for going to the dentist :shame:

The gum on the molar near the donor site is swollen and feels like it's peeling back, and the site of the procedure is painful and swollen.
The only upside I can see is that the frenum is gone, or at least I can't see it anymore. Otherwise, I'm out of $800 and he's probably going to charge me more money to redo the procedure :shame: