• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken Front tooth under Veneer

A

ange24uk

Hi, I have 2 veneers on my front teeth that are covering crooked/overlapping teeth. They are fine, but the natural tooth on my incisor has crumbled and broken off. Didn't realise how much until the dentist told me at my check up that my "veneer is floating in thin air and there is only a stump of tooth left".
He has said I have to go back in a week to have the tooth removed and a denture fitted - a 30 min appointment to do the lot - which I think is too rushed!!
I am really upset at this - I was hoping he could just put a filling/cap on at the back or use cement to bond the veneer to what is left and spread it across the other veneered tooth at the back and the canine to strengthen it, as there isn't enough tooth to hold a crown. I am scared they will take the tooth out and I will get infection/pain from the denture pressing on the hole, so won't be able to wear it, or it could fall out leaving me really embarrassed in public/work etc. having a gap at the front.
I did not get an x ray, so have no idea how much damage will be done to my teeth by snapping off a veneer and having pliers on a small stump of tooth that isn't big enough to grasp.
Also worried about the other veneer getting damaged.
I was told I have to wear a denture for 3-6 months then possibly have a bridge - which will obviously mean drilling and crowning the other healthy teeth.
Please can anyone suggest a fix that will save the tooth??

Please can anyone suggest a fix that will save the tooth??

Yes it sounds like the option of an implant hasn't been discussed with you. These are not available on the NHS though (but then neither are veneers) and an implant is not something you'd want just any General dentist doing anyway.

As a layperson you've got to wonder at how well the veneer was done to have left you with so little tooth structure.

Crown and bridge is also an option but as you say it compromises 2 other healthy teeth and given what has happened to the veneered tooth just with a veneer this does sound rather risky.

For an optimal solution you can't rely on advice compromising of '30 mins and we're sorted'- you are right to feel suspicious of this but the optimal solution is probably not available on NHS so you will have to decide it is something you want to spend money on, as you say a front tooth is pretty important to self-esteem. You are probably looking at a couple of thousand pounds for an implant.

It's best to do the treatment as an integrated whole - don't have the extraction with a vague plan to get an implant in the future, get a referral to an implantologist or prosthosdontist and then decide whether to extract.

This forum is for those with dental anxiety or fear so you might prefer to also get extra advice on a more general Dentistry forum such as these ones:

Best of luck.

Sorry for even longer post - but costs and repairs are also worrying me - I was told the cost of the denture will be £198 - I paid £16.50 already for the checkup/emergency appointment and have a health cost form which limits each "course of treatment" to £62.50 thank god, but don't think that includes what I paid already.
They didn't do a proper check up but I do need at least 2 fillings doing at some point.
If I have to keep going back for xrays, fillings, adjustments/emergency treatment for pain etc; and then in 3 months time have to have a new denture made as well, due to not fitting anymore - is this all classed as one course of treatment, or will they charge me again/separately for all replacements/emergencies?
The reason I left my teeth for so long was because I couldn't afford £45 in one go for a filling, let alone anything more!!!!

Dentist didn't tell me what I am getting either - don't know if I am having a "flipper" with wire, or a small piece of plastic held in by suction, so no idea of size of it - so worried I will be left without teeth due to problems/sending away to lab for repairs/not affording it :cry:

Hi Brit - thanks - cross posted my further long worries as you were replying, mso only just seen you! Thanks for the link I will have a look - he did say something an option was implants but never discussed cost or payment plans etc - I have seen it somewhere that they are on the NHS, so will google to see what grounds they can be done on!!
Had the veneers for 6 years, no probs till a few months ago!! Other one seems fine, but I never bite apples or hard food anyway so don't know if it would snap now!!
I was in the room 10-15 mins max, he was waiting to go home, so I felt really rushed and didn't ask too much as I was too upset/shocked.

Back