• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken Molar and Adjacent Cavities

E

eileenv

I have a broken top molar #3 with what dentist informs me are cavities in both adjacent molars. My mouth is in sad shape. There is also a loose bridge on my four front teeth that dentist is afraid to attempt removal and re-cementing (money is an issue, and bridge will probably need to be replaced). I am worried. Dentist said that he cannot fill the cavities unless I have the broken molar extracted by an oral surgeon. Does this sound right? Will I be able to chew? I cannot afford to replace a missing tooth. Advice certainly appreciated. Thanks.

Did the dentist give you any reasons why he wouldn't fill the cavities while the broken tooth was there? Having the tooth absent would make the fillings a bit easier but it's not a deal breaker if it's still there... yes you can certainly manage to eat fine without replacing it.

Thank you for your helpful and comforting response. The dentist did not give any reasons why he won't fill the cavities with the broken tooth there. I didn't ask, but should have. Food is getting trapped inside the broken piece, so the tooth does need to come out. The dentist gave me a referral to oral surgeons affiliated with our local hospital. I have mildly low thyroid and was prescribed a medication, which I am longer able to obtain a refill for without a PCP appointment. (My insurance situation changed this year). Is it likely that an oral surgeon would require a medical clearance to extract the tooth? Thanks again.

There's a FAQ on removing roots on here if you want a look, it's easier than you think :)

I'm not familiar with the US system but in this country, no we wouldn't look for medical clearance, assuming there's nothing else going on with you apart from the thyroid issue?

Back