• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken Molar Nightmare

Oh, you poor dear...
I think many, if not most, of the people on here can relate to taking the denial approach when it comes to dental problems. Just remember that you cannot undo the past so there is no sense beating yourself up over it. You can only move forwards, and it sounds like you have already taken many brave and positive steps in that direction. Even if you do end up keeping the gap after your extraction, try to change your mindset from "How did I ever let this happen?" to "I will keep taking care of my teeth so this doesn't happen again."

I posted some of my recent dental experiences, which included >10 years of ignoring potential problems, in the Success Stories section if you felt like a little light reading. What helped me the most was my dentist's positive attitude of simply wanting to fix the problems that were there, and helping me make sure things stayed healthy. There was basically no focus on how or why things got to that state because it simply didn't matter at that point.

It sounds like you have found a good dentist, so share your concerns with him and ask get his opinion on the pros and cons of your options. Try not to beat yourself up, and focus on the fact that you are taking care of things now.

Good luck!

You're right, no point dwelling on the past since it can't be changed and it will be a reminder of how important it is to take care of them and not ignore problems. Maybe it won't be so bad once it's all over with but right now this is probably the worst ordeal I've ever been through. Another little chunk of filling fell out a while ago and it's starting to feel a bit tender/sore so I really need to have it out. I should have done it last week but I was too afraid. If I had it would have been over with days ago and probably well on the way to being healed up now. At least it's just one tooth, I know many people here have had a lot more than that if not all of them and probably think I'm being overly dramatic about the whole thing. I don't know what I'd do without you all though, so glad I found this place.

Well tomorrow is the day. I simply can't believe how fast this week flew by. I'm kind of having mixed emotions right now. I'm scared to death of the extraction tomorrow and I'm praying it won't be as horrible as I think it will be, and I'm also frightened of what it will be like having a tooth gone. At the same time I just want it over with, I want my life back. That's part of what is upsetting me about it though, it won't be over tomorrow. It will be gone for the rest of my life. I know people get used to it but it seems hard to believe I'll be able to. There is always the implant option but that is months away and from what I understand involves at least six months to have it done. The only thing I can think about right now is sitting down in that chair tomorrow and the pulling and the sounds and, oh dear. Maybe he can put me to sleep so I won't have to experience it. I guess I'll go make myself one final snack and try to go to bed. I just hope I don't cry in front of the dentist tomorrow.

Edit: It's time, I'm leaving in a few minutes. :cry:

Last edited:
I'm back from today's appointment, and...I chickened out again. I did get some of the other work done I needed, a couple fillings replaced so it wasn't a trip for nothing or anything. He saw how nervous I was and tried to calm me down with small talk about the cold weather but he found that didn't work on me so it was down to business. I told him I guess I'd just go ahead and get it out, and he had me leaned back in the chair getting his stuff ready and I was shaking like a leaf. I jokingly said "I guess I have to be awake for this" and he said yeah, I'm afraid we aren't set up for any kind of sedation. They couldn't even do the gas there. He then said he could refer me to an oral surgeon for a consultation and I jumped at it. He said if I wanted that would be a good time to get those wisdom teeth out, though personally I don't think they are a problem but I'll ask the oral surgeon what he thinks when I go (which may be a bad idea because of course he gets more money to take them out).

My dad drove me down and when I told him I had an appointment with the oral surgeon he wasn't thrilled, said I should have just got it out and been done with it. He's right I know but I just couldn't do it. Just having the fillings was terrible, that suction thing was freezing cold and started to hurt so much I had to stop him for a moment. Next time I'm getting numbed more. He said the oral surgeon would probably cost over $1000 though so I don't know what to do. If I want to get an implant later I'd really need that money for it. Maybe I should just let him pull it next time and cancel the oral. I just don't know what to do, but at least I'm making a little progress at least, slow but steady. I hope I'm not posting too much about this, I know I just keep rambling on and on.

Hi Jacky,

I think the most important thing is that you move at your own pace, assuming there is no urgent medical reason for the extraction. I have never had an extraction (except for my wisdom teeth a very long time ago) but if you search on the forum you'll see all sorts of testimonials as to how it is not as terrible an ordeal as you would believe.

The good news is that you had some work done! Congratulate yourself for that! And if you feel you weren't numb enough buy all means stop the procedure and ask for more anesthetic. Remember you are in control of your own body and what happens to it.

Believe me when I say that you are not posting too much about your worries. That is what this forum is here for. Lots of friendly ears to listen and shoulders to lean on.

BH:XXLhug:

Thank you blackhound, yes the rational part of my mind keeps telling me I'm overreacting. I'm sure that having it pulled would not be near as bad as that drill was today with all the vibrating and noise, and that ice cold air from the suction thing. I think the dread of not having it anymore is part of the problem, I don't want to lose any so I keep putting it off. The fact that it doesn't hurt at all, at least if it was hurting I'd want it out more. Kind of silly I guess.

I'm certainly terrified of the procedure more than anything. Reading about all the people who've gone through it ok helps a lot though, and for goodness sake it's just a single tooth and people here have gone though much worse. Still when it comes time to get it done it feels to me like the end of the world. I know one thing, when I finally get all this over with I'm going to take much better care of them. I don't want to go through this ordeal again. :)

It's 4 am, can't sleep. That tooth is starting to hurt, my gums are sore around it. I'm afraid it might be getting infected, not sure. It is still seven days before my appointment with the oral surgeon and that's just for a consultation so I'm not sure how long before he'd extract it. Maybe I better call the regular dentist tomorrow and tell him, I don't want to wait until it's infected. I should have just had it out two weeks ago, it would have been over with.

DrFeelGood could I politely ask you not to tell people to take tablets and not in the amounts you have on here. I don't know if you are a Dr or not but you don't know the persons medical history.

Anyone going for dental appointments please follow you own dentists advice on medication and or the amounts to take.

I myself had a badly infected tooth that did indeed hurt but it was dealt with with medication prescribed by my dentist followed by the correct treatment. :butterfly:

Jacky32 I hope by now that you have contacted your dentist and got the problem sorted out :)

Back