• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken piece of tooth after root canal

conqueringfears

conqueringfears

Hi all. I am so nervous. Tonight I went to brush my teeth and my tooth that was just treated with a root canal broke, or had a small piece that did. I have put the photo here. I have spent so much money, please tell me my tooth doesn't have to be extracted. I circled the small piece that came off with a blue pencil.
  1. How can this be fixed? The white filling underneath is what the dentist put in as a temp filling post root canal. I scheduled as soon as I could with my dentist for a crown. My appt is on Thursday, 2 days away.
  2. I put some more temporary filling I have on hand in the little space, Dentek temporary filling.
  3. Will it have to be extracted? Can this be saved?
  4. Can it still be crowned? If so, how can it still be crowned?
I saved the small piece of tooth that broke off too.

Attachments

• Broken.jpg
    Broken.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
It's fine, don't worry about it. Don't bother trying to put any temp filling in, just leave it alone. Throw away the piece you won't need it.

@Gordon thank you. When you say it’s fine does this appear in photo that it can still be crowned? If yes, how will the crown attach to my tooth if there’s a small part missing? Will it have to be retreated?

A lot of online posts say if it’s below the gum line it can’t be fixed. It’s a very interesting piece of my tooth that broke. It’s the side that had a lot of decay so much of it was drilled away. The endodontist said get in with my dentist within 30 days for the crown and that’s what I planned for and scheduled immediately. I hope it can wait two days and not break anymore or not get infected. The financial burden 😞

@Gordon I am not sure if my previous reply went through.

Thank you.
  1. When you say it’s fine does this appear in photo that it can still be crowned?
  2. If yes, how will the crown attach to my tooth if there’s a small part missing?
  3. Will it have to be retreated?

A lot of online posts say if it’s below the gum line it can’t be fixed. It’s a very interesting piece of my tooth that broke. It’s the side that had a lot of decay so much of it was drilled away. The endodontist said get in with my dentist within 30 days for the crown and that’s what I planned for and scheduled immediately. I hope it can wait two days and not break anymore or not get infected. The financial burden 😞

1) Yes it can still be crowned, the fracture doesn't look as if it's deep enough down below the gum level to be a problem
2) The crown fits over the entire tooth, it will have about 1.5mm drilled off all the way round and over the top to make room for the gold/porcelain of the crown.
3) No.

@Gordon your comments and reassurance really do something magical for me and I am sure many others in this group. Thank you once again for your time and patience Gordon.

Back