• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken porcelain over metal crown on #2

B

bububr

I have had a horrible experience with this tooth. Initially i chipped the inside corner and knew i needed a crown ...so i called a dental office that did a prior crown that had no issues.

It took 3 visits, the dentist initially told me what I already knew on the first, the next she removed an older filling, made a cast and placed a temp, the third is where the issue starts. As an aside, I never had any pain or discomfort when the tooth chipped, just a sharp edge: and while the temp was on for 2 weeks everything was fine.

She proceeded by CUTTING off the temp, which I'm used to the tool that jiggles and removes the temp, which didnt bug me...then she went to place the new crown and it was WAY too big, she couldn't even get it to fit..which I thought was strange because the temp fit perfectly. She then proceeded to heavily file down the sides of the crown. she would file then try to fit, then file some more etc.. finally she was able to FORCE the perm on to see the set and take an xray. She asked me how it felt and I said it felt really sharp and jagged. SHe said she would fix that.

She tried to remove the perm that she placed ( not set ) and it wouldnt come off. Her assistant tried and still no luck

Finally after about 10 minutes she used the tool to take off temps and YANKED it out. Hitting other teeth and dropping the crown into the back of my throat which i had to sit up and cough out.. I got an "Im sorry" at that time it felt like someone took a sledge hammer and whacked me across the head... If that wasnt enough she sprayed water on the filling and I almost jumped out of the chair...she shot me up with novocaine.

She filed the tooth a little more and set it.. It was still sharp and jagged but I just was in pain and wanted to get out.

a week later..pieces of the porcelain started breaking off at the gum line. Interior and exterior exposing the metal.. I was still in pain and losing sleep because when I did fall asleep with the throbbing if I rolled over on that side I woke up.

I notified the office, they didnt really seem to care.. Finally after some nasty emails and phone messages they scheduled me to see their SR dentist. He suggested a new crown, and because the tooth was so sensitive, a root canal.

this is the messy part. They offered to replace the crown, but refused to remove it or do any of the of the foundation work to do so. they referred me to an endodontist at my expense ( after paying for a defective 1000.00 crown ) and his thoughts were that I could live with the existing broken crown, he didnt feel I needed a RC but it was gum sensitivity to the broken crown, and cold to the exposed metal on the sides. BUT if I did have the crown cut off I would mostlikely need a RC at my expense due to the trama and further damage by cutting it off.

on top of that I would have to schedule a day when both dentists from both offices were working.. make a morning apt to have the crown removed and the RC, then drive across town with no tooth...and find parking and have the other dentist make a temp..then go back in 2 weeks to set the perm.

Finding this ridiculous they got a nasty phone call from me, and I recieved a FORM letter in the mail stating they would no longer accept me as a patient.

At this time I am thinking dental negligence and filing a lawsuit in small claims

My concern is that if another chunk breaks off while Im eating and I bite down I could possibly damage another tooth, not to mention the fact that they just mailed me a letter requesting I find another provider...now that they have my $1000

Sorry for your problems.
IS your dentist an ADA member? If so you can file a complaint with the local ADA which has a patient complaint board. The board will listen to your complaint, look at you and the dentist's records then make a recommendation to the dentist. They are typically favorable to the patient.

I think the best treatment for you based on what you have said is to wait for the tooth to calm down then wait a couple of more months then a dentist can cut off the old crown and make a new crown. As to the costs I think there are 2 reasonable easy solutions. 1. See original dentist 2. Find new dentist and request the money paid for the crown be refunded in full and you will release the dentist from any future liability.
As to malpractice claim your damages are minimal.

Back