• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken premolar pain & removal questions

O

OllieHM

Hi guys,

I've had this broken premolar for around 3-4 months now, basically there is just a little bit of the tooth remaining with some tooth remaining on the gumline.

I've recently had some pain from this which is a throbbing pain and also my cheek is sore to the touch in the area above where the broken tooth is.

I recently plucked up the courage to see a dentist and they told me it'll have to be removed, can anyone shed some light on what happens in the procedure and aftercare?

PS I'm abroad on holiday at the moment and the pain has started again, anyone have any advice on how to subdue this until I come back home for it to be removed?

THANKS!

Hi Ollie,

Basically, don't listen to anyone telling you it's going to really hurt or any of that rubbish, you honestly won't feel a thing. xx You will be completely numbed up before anything is done and nothing will be done until then (this can take up to 10 minutes). The n, your dentist will use various little tools to gently 'rock' the tooth to loosen it, before pulling it out. You might hear some slight noise (nothing horrendous) and you may also feel a pulling or pushing sensation, but I promise you, it will not hurt. Then suddenly, it's gone! You'll be surprised how quickly it happens! Then you'll be given a pad to bite down on and you will have to keep one in there for at least 12-24 hours I think, changing it every now and again (it can sometimes bleed for a bit longer, mine did, but it's nothing to sorry about.) You must also start taking painkillers as soon as you get home so that you don't get any pain - I had absolutely none.

There's a thread here that will tell you all about the healing process;

In the meantime, just keep taking painkillers (Ibuprofen is a good one, unless you're asthmatic). Are you back from holiday soon? Maybe you should see a dentist out there?

That's put my mind at ease, I've had teeth out before and accurately describes the feeling you get, I was mainly just worried about how the dentist actually get a hold of the tooth with there not being much to get hold of!!

I'll be coming off holiday on the 14th October and I have an appointment at the dentist the day after for a 50 minute visit (extraction and teeth cleaning) guessing the cleaning will take up the most part :p

That's put my mind at ease, I've had teeth out before and accurately describes the feeling you get, I was mainly just worried about how the dentist actually get a hold of the tooth with there not being much to get hold of!!

I'll be coming off holiday on the 14th October and I have an appointment at the dentist the day after for a 50 minute visit (extraction and teeth cleaning) guessing the cleaning will take up the most part :p

Lol, more than likely! There's not much a dentist can't do these days, it's pretty amazing, so try not to worry too much and enjoy the rest of your holiday!!

Hello again!

I've just been to the dentist and unfortunately they were unable to remove the tooth due to there being little of the tooth to get hold of, so..... I've made an appointment at the practice to have it removed which involves "raising the gum and cutting some bone away" to access the tooth, which sounds terrifying!

Anyone had this before?

Hi
I know it sounds bad but it's actually a much more controlled way of removing the tooth that does less damage.

Same as before you'll be really numb but it may take a little longer to remove the tooth. It's likely you'll have some stitches afterwards to help healing.

Hope it goes well

Back