• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

broken premolar

S

scaredmum

I need to take my son to the dentist, but I have a phobia, which I am dealing with, I'm able to go to the dentists now, but the thought of taking my children scares me.

My 8 year old has Autism (mild), and over the last year has brushed his own teeth, although a lot of nagging is involved.

Yesterday, he was picking inside his mouth, and when I looked, I saw that half of his premolar above the gum line has completely snapped off, the other side one looks black, and on furhter examination he has a cavity on another premolar up the top.

He's quite happy to go to the mouth doctor, but i'm scared silly.

WIll they extract? Fill?

UPdate. 7/6 - Got an appointment for him on 14th June, not at my dentist as they were fully booked, so it gives me a week to prepare him.

I want to prepare him as best as I can.

Last edited:
Don't make a big deal of it would be my advice. I realise that children with AS don't like surprises but just tell him the dentist is his friend - a special kind of doctor who will fix his teeth and make them better so he can enjoy his food without having toothache.
What the likely treatment would be, would depend on many factors including whether you are in the USA or UK/Europe and whether you take them to a General Dentist who would be more likely to do as little as possible (Out of fear of upsetting the child) or to a Pediatric dentist who would tend to want to fix as much as possible (sometimes unnecessarily) with sedation if necessary.

If he is a sensible 8 year old with mild AS as you say, then I would feel happiest with a dentist I trusted (probably General) just working on him with local anaesthetic delivered in a painfree manner.

If you are in USA do be careful where you go - there are some extremely unethical medicaid dental mills out there. I wouldn't take him just anywhere tbh and if you must go somewhere new, ensure you remain with him at all times, even if, out of his line of sight. You need to be his advocate and do not sign up for any more than one procedure per appt as this is how they get away with doing multiple (unnecessary) stainless steel crowns knowing medicaid will foot the bill no questions asked.

If you are going UK NHS then these worries don't apply - less is more. ;):party:. A bombed out baby tooth would be extracted in UK rather than being given a baby root canal and stainless steel cap. In UK NHS my main worry would be the dentist having sufficient command of English to be able to reassure him appropriately.

I really would feel happier if you took him to your own dentist who you trust even if it means waiting a little longer; or if in USA to a fully accredited (non-dental mill) pediatric dentist who does not use restraint/aversive techniques.

DO you know anything positive about the practice you have booked him in at? Don't assume because of your history of phobia that all dentists would give him as good an experience, because it simply isn't the case and it would be better to find a dentist who can help him in a painfree untraumatic way so as to avoid problems in the future.
:grouphug:

SInce writing the above I have managed to get him an appointment with my own dentist.
I had an appointment today for some fillings and she said that the person on the phone hadn't realised I was with them, anyway, short of it is, both my children now have an appointment.

My dentist is lovely, and always puts me at ease. I explained what I've seen in son's mouth, she confirmed it is a baby tooth that's cracked.

Older son is going in monday, half hour appointment in case he needs work (which he does), but she said she'd just do one thing so not to scare him.

Keeping the boys separate as my younger son is scared of unfamiliar places and I don't want him to witness a filling without having gone for his first checkup.

Thanks for your advice Brit. (I'm uk and get NHS treatment)

Last edited:
That sounds really great - let her do all the talking. He'll be fine :jump:

Sounds great - I have just popped on here to look for help for similar, my son has to have a tooth taken out on Monday and it looks like it will be me taking him and I am terrified! TBH he can be a bit of a wimp at times and his dad just isn't compassionate enough, lol

Not sure how I will get through it but I guess we just have to be brave for our kids :XXLhug:

The visit went well. He went running in there without me, and was on the chair by the time I got into the room.

The broken tooth was beginning to absess so she took it out. He needs two fillings on baby teeth, his adult teeth are all fine. So all good really.

He took it all in his stride. I was so proud of him.

Excellent news....well done Mum.:jump::party::jump:

Back