• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken root cannal

J

Jax1

Today a tooth I had a root cannal done on many years ago completely broke, I never got it crowned and it has been slowly disintegrating over last year or so. Today the whole filling fell out, I have a tiny thin bit of tooth left on inside of mouth but other than that there is nothing left of tooth, I’m not even looking at the gum I’m so grossed out by it. My dilemma, I need to go dentist, the tooth is really visible that it’s gone, it’s the one after the canine, pre molar I think. I have a big gap, it looks awful. I’m terrified to go to the dentist, I’m in no doubt this is now way beyond repair, absolutely gutted. I have other teeth broken to gum level but they are further back so not noticeable. This is the push I need to go but I’m so very terrified.

Hi Jax1,

so sorry to read this, what a nightmare :( I see how this is super urgent at one point, but you are probably even more terrified than before to go now. Do you have any dentist in mind that you feel you may go to?

Two things I would like to let you know: first, having a root canaled tooth broken in the visible area or mouth is what very often brings phobics to see the dentist after years of avoidance. It‘s where things for most people get so bad that they can‘t help but go. Any dentist you will see with this will be familiar with this situation and won‘t judge you. If you haven‘t read our article about embarassment, it may be worth to take a look at it.

Secondly, please schedule soon. Because these teeth can sometimes be saved even if there is not that much of the tooth left. This may be difficult to imagine right now and I can‘t promise it will be possible, but sometimes what looks like a tooth beyond saving can still be built up and be crowned. It depends on how exactly the tooth is broken and what the overall condition is. I can only encourage you to give it a try and get seen and if something can be done, the earlier you go, the higher the chance.

Is there anything particular you are worried when it comes to seeing a dentist?

All the best wishes

It certainly is a nightmare! I suppose it will be the dentist I went to years ago, I don’t know if still registered and if they will see me. The things that terrify me about going are the actual thought of walking into the room and sitting in the chair, I hate sitting back in it so much, the out of control vulnerable feeling, it just fills me with terror. I know you are right I should try to go as soon as possible, and for vanity reasons I may well, the gap looks so bad, you can see it’s a broken off tooth and the tooth behind it is not great, I think it has some broken off as looks a funny shape and has some decay visible and the gap I have seems extremely big for one missing tooth. I worry a bit about the pain but I know when I had the root cannal it didn’t actually hurt, I don’t like the injections though. Feeling terrified and hopeless at the moment. Also should add a partner who is not very nice about my teeth, always saying bad things about them, makes me nervous about going dentist.

At least I can go out wearing a mask, first time I’m happy about that!!

Oh my goodness I am shaking, I did a massive thing (to me anyway) I rang the dentist. First time phone was engaged, second time I spoke to the lady. I’m no longer registered as a patient but I could re register and have an appointment in about 3 or 4 weeks time. I said thank you and I would ring back in a bit, it was all I could cope with for one morning. I do want to do it so badly I just seem to hold myself back.

I have done it, I have an appointment for Wednesday afternoon, I am absolutely terrified, so very scarred now about what dentist will say about all my teeth and what needs doing, don’t think i will eat or sleep between now and the appointment.

I have done it, I have an appointment for Wednesday afternoon, I am absolutely terrified, so very scarred now about what dentist will say about all my teeth and what needs doing, don’t think i will eat or sleep between now and the appointment.

First thing is WELL DONE!

I was the same when booking my appointment last week. My heart was racing, feeling sick, etc... I have a check up tomorrow afternoon. Even though its just a check up I'm scared. Last time i went was 4 years ago, he told me i needed an extraction and 4 fillings then. I'm sooo worried about what state my teeth are in now.

I've been waiting over a week and ive had a day off work feeling very ill and barely eating. Tomorrow is the big day. I did speak to my doctor and got prescribed diazepam to take before I go. Really hope it helps.

First thing is WELL DONE!

I was the same when booking my appointment last week. My heart was racing, feeling sick, etc... I have a check up tomorrow afternoon. Even though its just a check up I'm scared. Last time i went was 4 years ago, he told me i needed an extraction and 4 fillings then. I'm sooo worried about what state my teeth are in now.

I've been waiting over a week and ive had a day off work feeling very ill and barely eating. Tomorrow is the big day. I did speak to my doctor and got prescribed diazepam to take before I go. Really hope it helps.
It’s the worst feeling isn’t it. I guess I’m lucky only have to wait to Wednesday. I have not eaten all day, partly due to broken tooth and partly I just feel so sick. I’m terrified as I have 4 really decayed wisdom teeth, a couple of other molars broken to gum line and some with holes in, feel desperate about what will happen, about losing lots of teeth. The broken one that pushed me to go is near the front so I’m gutted, don’t see it being saved, the gap looks terrible I’m having to practice talking and not opening mouth much. Good luck to you tomorrow, please let me know how it goes, hope it is not as bad as you fear

Back