• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken tooth advice - so anxious and upset

M

MumOfBoys1985

So in September I had a small part of a big filling break. I was convinced I would lose the tooth but the dentist xrayed it, no decay so was able to fix it with composite filling and alter the pressure point on it it lowering the existing filling slightly. I have been trying so hard with my cleaning - brushing twice a day, interdental flossing, no fizzy drinks, keeping sugary foods to meals etc etc. I do grind my teeth alot. I dont always know I'm doing it but sometimes I realise and try to stop.

Anyhow, I was just eating and the tooth the dentist fixed has broken. There is only the smallest amount of tooth now so I am guessing it won't be fixable now. Can any of the dentists advise if there are any alternatives to extraction or if that's literally my only option now. Please please be kind, I am absolutely devastated and so ashamed. I will ring my dentist Monday for an urgent appt but I'm so anxious and frightened.

As you can see the small tooth in front was extracted years ago after a terrible dental experience with a locum dentist. I'm so upset.

Attachments

• 20210226_193333.jpg
    20210226_193333.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 51
It's hard to be definite without seeing an x-ray. Crown or inlay might be possible so long as the fracture doesn't go too far below the gum level.
Don't beat yourself up about it, the tooth was seriously weakened already it was always going to fail at some point.

Thank you Gordon. I really appreciate your reply. I was thinking a crown wouldn't be possible as there isn't enough tooth to cement it to - can crowns still be fitted on such teeth providing there's no decay?

I have quickly done a Google search and am I right an inlay is similar to a crown in some way? Does it cover the whole tooth or just the affected bit? Can you tell me in simple terms how it's done?

I had xrays in October and there was no decay then but I guess that's 4 months ago so things do change. There's no pain or sensitivity to hot/cold/sweet (saying that, I have only had porridge and squash this morning and a hot cup of tea last night). It just feels weird against my tongue and of course, I can't stop fiddling with it and looking at it.

Itll be Tuesday or Wednesday before I can call the dentist as Monday we have an early start to travel up north to a family funeral and if you don't ring at 8am you've no chance of an appointment. I'm guessing it's not a dire emergency anyway given there's no pain etc but I know I need to get it sorted.

I don't know where I am going wrong, I brush, floss, limit sweet things. I dont know what else to do.

No, there looks like there's enough tooth there for a crown.
An inlay is like a partial crown, they can be made from gold or porcelain or composite. They are much stronger than a filling. Their main advantage is they require less tooth to be removed compared with a crown.
The big issue is how far down below the gum line the failure has gone, if it's more than a couple of mm then the prognosis is very poor, it's just not possible to keep it clean enough so it'll decay around the margin of the restoration or it'll get periodontal issues due to plaque build up.
You're not going wrong now the damage was done years ago. You can't change what's already been done :)

Thanks Gordon. You're so kind.

I don't know if I am being thick (very possible ?), can you explain to me in simple terms for my confused little brain - say there is no crack below the gum, how can a crown be fitted? The tooth I had a root canal on is almost a full tooth but with a large filling and they said I couldn't have a crown on that one because the tooth is too thin (there's no issue with that tooth though at the moment and I know iv shown you a picture before and you confirmed it looked ok).

I would just like to know for my own curiosity because I like facts and to know the ins and outs.

You've basically confirmed what my own dentist said back in October with regards to there really being very little to change or improve now. That filling (apart from the tiny repair in oct) is probably about 18 years old or something now.

As always, thank you

Hard to explain but basically there's enough natural tooth left to restore, you've got two relatively intact cusps at the rear and it doesn't look like the amalgam goes very deep in that area.

Hard to explain but basically there's enough natural tooth left to restore, you've got two relatively intact cusps at the rear and it doesn't look like the amalgam goes very deep in that area.
Thanks Gordon. I managed to get in touch with my dentist yesterday and sent her a photo. She said she is thinking a crown is the best way to go if bits keep breaking off, but she will call me Monday to discuss when she has seen the photo.

Fingers crossed she can help me. I'm so frightened.

The dentist has phoned this morning and sadly says she wouldn't be able to do a crown as there isn't enough tooth to hold one. So she proposes to drill out a tiny bit and put some composite on to reshape it. I asked if it was worth bothering or not and Just pull it and go for an implant but she said she's quite confident if she does this then I should be able to hang on to it for a good few more years. Fingers crossed. I am a bit disappointed but I knew deep down she wouldn't be able to fit one. Onwards and upwards though I guess.

Back