• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken tooth, amalgam reaction

T

Thedudeabidez

My second question: I just broke a composite cap on a tooth which had been placed to reinforce an older amalgam filling already in place. It feels like the original crumbled when the cap cracked off. I generally have not been concerned about the safety of amalgam, but when the tooth broke, I got a strange metallic taste in my mouth, and an hour later came down with a fever. The fever's been for four days now, and my entire mouth has broken out in canker and cold sores. Is this some kind of allergic reaction? I plan to get it looked at, but can't get a dentist for another week. Should I be seeing one right away, or am I just getting phobic about the amalgam?

There is almost zero chance it is an allergic reaction. If you were allergic to any of the components of the amalgam, you would have broken out when it was first placed in your mouth, not after it broke off. The canker sores breaking out at the same time are most likely a coincidence. I wouldn't be concerned about not seeing your dentist for another week.

Fever wouldn't be related to an allergy. If you still have the fever you should go to a medical doctor. Some medical diseases can cause canker sores in the mouth.

Back